comic recommendations

My favorite new story of 2009 was John Layman’s CHEW. Great concept and great to see an actual Asian American not just a stereotype. Although there are some great jokes about the stereotypes.

Chew is a detective that can trace the history of any item he ingests. What’s really cool about it though is the alternate universe Layman created where the bird-flu went wild - made fowl illegal and now the FDA is the top government agency.

Chew’s great

It’s made all the better when you realise that’s all you’re ever going to get of the series… yey?

I just read through the Kick-Ass graphic novel in one sitting. Surprisingly better story than I was anticipating. I was a little annoyed at how Hit-Girl’s story was wrapped up, but aside from that it’s pretty good.

I thought it was a sensible way to end her story, she was too young and messed up to keep going, and so she stopped and went home. Superheroes stories on usually end when they die, I can think of maybe two where they ended well, Hit Girl and Jack Knight.

I’ve been reading Scalped all day…holy frak it’s amazing and I hear the latest issue is like. Blockbuster. I’ve still got a ways to go to get their but damn this series is good

wow…just wow. From Issue 34s action to Issue 35’s just…wow. You need to read that issue. All of you. Don’t have to read 1-34, it’s a complete stand alone. That was…that was great

finished all star superman; it was good. not quite red son good but a great recommendation thank you NM

Glad you enjoyed it! :smiley:

I love me some Booster Gold and some Power Girl. Sad to see Ms. Marvel canceled (what’s with Marvel canceling the books I love? Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Iron Fist…). Deadpool used to be pretty fun, but now that he’s got four ongoing titles all his own, I’m a little less enamored by the quirkiness.

If you can find the singles, pick up the Detective Comics illustrated by JH Williams 854-860. Hands down, the absolute best art I’ve ever seen in comic books.

But if you like a little corniness in your comics, the “Uncle Sam” graphic novels are amazing. The story draws you in, the writing is smart and funny, and the art is top notch.