Champions Online

Well, since Sean mentioned City Of Heroes in a recent podcast I figure I’d mention the latest and greatest in Super Hero MMORPGS. Ladies and Gentleman

I give you Champions Online.

http://www.champions-online.com/

Champions was just released this week. I have played City Of Heroes and I’ll tell ya, Champions is a MAJOR upgrade over COH in every way. Although they are similar as Champions was made by the former DEVS of COH.

Really quick, some of the enhancements Champions has over COH are:

-Graphics, Champions as a living comic book feel to it

-Character creation, there are TONS of costuming options, heck I easily spent an hour on that part alone! Also Champions offers more classes, powers and even allows you to make up your own type of power class by combining powers.

-The ability to create an arch enemy/nemesis for your Hero!!

There are more but you have to check it out for yourself!

If you like City Of Heroes, I Think you will love Champions!

Here’s a video showing some of the game play and graphics differences.

//youtu.be/<object width=“425” height=“344”><param name=“movie” value=“http://www.youtube.com/v/drnUzYiNiuY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1”></param><param name=“allowFullScreen” value=“true”></param><param name=“allowScriptAccess” value=“always”></param><embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/drnUzYiNiuY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“true” allowScriptAccess=“always” width=“425” height=“344”></embed></object>

Looks like a hell of a bunch of fun. Wish they had a Mac client. :frowning:

I played COH when it first launched. I ended up quitting after the 30 day trial because there were 3 types of dungeons & you had to do the same thing in every one of them. Char creation was great! Game play was boring. Has Champions improved on this or is it the same model?

Champions definitely looks better than CoH. I was never interested in CoH because it looked too fake. Not sure I’ll try Champions. Playing a superhero (outside a known comic book universe) doesn’t really interest me.

I used to play the table top RPG way back in my high school days. Is it at all similar? Do they offer weaknesses to give more power points? I do have a CoH account, but the storylines are a bit weak, and the game play isn’t very good. Admittedly I’ve been spoiled by DDO’s “missions” (“handcrafted” maps, traps, and monster layout) and by LOTRO’s storylines and lore. I’ve been curious about Champions ever since I first heard about it. How does the FPS-like combat system hold up?

Man so many questions :slight_smile:

@ Jammer the people who made the table top RPG you played waaay back in the day were heavily involved in making this game. While I did not play the table top game, a buddy of mine did. He said a lot of the things from the RPG were implemented into this game. As for the FPS style, it’s actually more of a 3rd person shooter type combat system similar to WoW.

@Aset, Yes, game play has improved over CoH big time. It somewhat uses the same model but there is a lot more variety in what you can do mission wise.

@fastcart, I can see what your saying. Sadly Microsoft has the rights to the
Marvel Universe Online MMORPG and that is going to be an X-box exclusive title:mad: (I have a 360 but prefer my computer for MMORPGS and FPS’). BUT if your a comic book fan then I would say give champions a try. You never know you may enjoy it…:slight_smile:

I’m just getting started but I’m having a blast. Being able to mix and match powers is awesome (rather then having to stick to only the pre-made classes)!

IF they start giving out buddy passes or anything, like that then i’ll post here.

One last nugget, if you get the game and sign up for 6 months you get an invite to the Star Trek Online Closed beta which starts in Dec!!!

I jumped in CO this weekend to check it out myself. It looks like it’s starting out in a good direction, but it still seems a bit lacking just yet. Then again, that’s pretty much the status quo for MMO releases. Still, it’s not a bad start. It seems more “hand crafted” like DDO than COH with its randomizer feel. Unlike DDO however, in line with LOTRO/WoW/CoH/etc there are outdoor areas aplenty for the explorer/communal flavors.
It looks like disadvantages didn’t make it in with release, but the forums make it sound like they may be down the line. There was talk on the forums of making a need for secret identities anyway.

My first character, Whiplash, was created on one of those pre-made templates, a supernatural clawer. He’s like a cross between Wolverine and Spawn, but looks like a beastly satyr dressed up as a biker. All-in-all he holds up fairly well.

On the second go around I tried customizing a template and came up with something like a cross between Lara Croft and Batman, munitions and gadgeteering that is. Picture Lara Croft with an open, flapping trenchcoat and a rooketeer jetpack. She (Bellatrix) doesn’t hold up in combat so well just yet, but it seems like there’s hope for her with some further tweaking.

Glad to hear ya joined Jammer. I was in the last 2 days of beta so I got to mess around a little with the classes. When it went live I made a customized toon. My first hero is named Chapel. He is dressed in a duster coat with a bandanna and cowboy hat (i’ll post pics a him later). For him I used munitions and force as my two powers.

So far it’s working out good for him, I use the two pistols to build up the energy then use the force push or bomb to finish the enemy(s) off.

My Second toon I wanted more of the tradition type comic book hero, So I made a hero who was inspired by Hawkeye from Marvel comics. So he’s running around in a set of tights, with a mask. He’s an Archer class, named him Apollo. He’s not As strong as Chapel, in term of damage dealing but the special 2 arrows I use are cool. One is a Sonic arrow which the ripple effect when drawing the bow is kind of cool and does decent damage. But my favorite arrow is the Taser Arrow. A fully charged hit with the Taser arrow will incapacitate them in electricity for 12 seconds (which can save your butt!)

Both are around level 12-13, as for specialized travel. I picked gymnastics for both. It moves fast and can help you de-ass an area quickly if needed. I tried some of the others, flight and the flying disc but both were a little to slow for my liking.

One last thing in case you did not know. If you purchase upgrade a power at the power house you can test the new power out in one of the side training rooms. That way if you hate the upgrade you can sell it back with no penalty. BUT if you leave the power house and come back to remove the power or upgrade you can take a major hit in the wallet. Also the tailors that are around are not really expensive in the event you want to tweak your hero’s costume a little.

Any feel free to send me an in-game message or email to; Ryeko@Chapel or Ryeko@Apollo. Right now both my toons are in the Burning Sands, Project Green zones.

Have fun!

Here’s a couple of pictures of my toons for Champions. ( I did not post their bios. I want to bore you with back stories :stuck_out_tongue: )

Redeemer, he is a combo power user, The Mighty Thor was the insperation for this guy. Despite being newest, he is so far my most favorite hero. He has strength, flys and uses a sword to bring justice.

Sorry the comic covers are a little blurry.

In Game screen shot, landing at Project Green Skin.

This is my second favorite toon.

I call him Chapel, he’s another combo power user. He’s a gunslinger and force user (think jedi push, throw and things of that nature)

And last but not least my Archery toon

Apollo- He’s the only toon I have who is soley focused on one power. Some of the Arrows are really fun to use but you are some what limited in the ability tree. Overall he is fun to play.

If you have a Champions Character post them up!!!

Here are my current characters!

Whiplash - Supernatural Claws

Bellatrix - Munitions Gadgeteer

Space Monkey Gordo - Telepath
(Gordo’s bio is taken directly from one of NASA’s monkeynauts and of course embellished in memorium)

Spacy monkey is great I love it…lol!!!

Thanks! He’s gotten the most compliments so far. I think his swinging around like Spiderman helps out even more. Bellatrix has gotten a few quiet, face-to-face stares. No one bothers with Whiplash.

And it looks like my character profiles at Champion’s website are actually working now…

Whiplash

Bellatrix

Space Monkey Gordo

For anyone who didn’t hear, Champions Online has announced they’ll be going Free2Play next year. Details are still being worked out and a F2P beta will be starting soon. Of course, like the other mainstream games that went free to play out there, expect to have to pay to unlock various features and limitations of the game.

I guess this is their answer to DCUO coming out next year.

Champions Online is going F2P on Jan 25th, 2011.

Just thought someone might be interested to know the date.

I don’t know if anyone is still interested in this game but I just got a promotional email from them. Up until the end of the month, you can log in game and claim a free character slot. Oh yeah… and if you’re F2P, you can try out some of the premium archetypes for a little while.

I actually signed up for this, by my cheap ass computer isn’t playing it for whatever reason.

Do you guys still play? Any advice for a newb? This is my first MMORPG. Thanks in advance.

Just started this one myself. I dumped CoH, because I wasn’t playing it enough to justify the fee. I have to admit I don’t like the interface as much as I did for CoH, but where I only play a few hours a month, 15 bucks a month was a bit steep on the cost to fun ratio.