Cars

Ah internet…where sarcasm does not even remotely come through. -_-

re: “Chick Cars”

I’m secure in my masculinity, so I need no help from my car in that area. I love my Miata because I love old Brit convertibles but I hate Lucas electrics. It’s a Japanese MG. I love my Porsche because driving it feels like wearing vintage clothing. It’s a little hip, a little pain in the ass, and you don’t pass ten others just like it on the way to the store. I love my truck ('97 F150) because it hauls s***. And I love my Honda (Civic Si Sedan) because it hauls four people, goes pretty good, looks sweet, and gets 27 MPG or better.

And I’d love to have about 20 more vehicles if I had the cash and the place to garage 'em.

re: Metalwork

I’ve done plenty of thicker stuff with my Millermatic 250, but I don’t know much about sheet metal. Got some tips for a first timer when it comes to sectioning and replacing sheet metal? (My first thought: the .030 wire I keep in the 250 is probably too big for it.)

It’s not about masculinity. I’m messing with you Chuck.

Up until April of this year, I may have been driving the oldest car in the entire GWC community: a '93 Honda Civic. Can anyone beat that? (No fair citing a car that just sits in your driveway or garage----it’s gotta be one you drove every day).

My '89 Porsche. But that MGB pictured at the top of the thread would beat it.

No frakkin’ way!? That’s awesome :slight_smile: (though I’m more of a Renault guy…)

I concede defeat.

well I Don’t drive my MGB every day, but every chance I can, and she’s getting close to being put away for the winter ;-(

As far as welding goes, Practice, practice pracitce. there’s also not a “standard” way to weld sheet metal, I used my cousins Sears craftsman MIG welder, I’m sure in spots I should have just rented a small spot welder, and did that rather than plugwelds, and then grinding the crap out of everything (which can also build up heat and warp panels) I can’t tell you the learning Curve I had doing my body panels. Since my stuff was new metal being welded to old metal, I believe I used a lighter wire, but I might be wrong. Thinner sheetmetal warps alot with just a little heat, so it takes a bit of practice, I warped one of the doglegs by trying to do a single bead of weld, so much I had to cut it off and re do it with a new panel. I say just start at low heat/current, and a VERY slow speed, take your time. It goes against everything about car projects, cars go fast, but welding should go slow.

Eastwoodco has a pretty good selection for sheetmetal tools and welding/metalforming supplies.

Dude, Dakota’s cool, but you can’t claim man credit for a bike you don’t own yet. Sorry, that’s the ruling.

BTW, Miata is a total chick car, with the noted exceptions below:

1. You have torsen shock package.
  2. You have ever taken the Miata to a track-day.
  3. Double Man Credit: It’s a SPEC Miata with a roll-cage.
  4. Triple Man Credit: It’s a SPEC Miata with a roll-cage. And you welded the roll-cage yourself.

Dude, devine, that is so totally cool. I wish I had the know-how to do this also. That MG looks stunning… good job, dude.

I hope to one day restore and drive an Austin Healy. Or a Jag Mark II. Yep, the inspector Morse Jag… I love it.

Weld on, brother.

I’m not claimin man credit for future ownings, I’m just sayin that’s my type of vehicle na’mean?

Hehe, of course, dude. That’s fair. Beside, I would never question the manliness of someone whose avatar and sig shows Mouse double fisting a pair Tommy guns. :smiley:

>_> They’re not Tommy guns man. They’re auto shotties specially made for that one scene and well unable to be used cause of differing gun laws shooting in Oz and USA

I keep meaning to mention, when I moved to Lakewood, there was a car dealership here in town called DeLorean Cadillac. It was owned by a member of the DeLorean family (a brother or nephew, I think), and was one of the only authorized DMC repair shops in this part of the country, so there were always a few DMC-12’s in the back lot. I used to drive by the back side of the lot just to see them sitting there.

Ford probe fan here. I bought this 96 GT back in 99 and starting toying around taking it apart and changing things around on it. It didnt take me long to join up with the Probe owners club and really start getting into the nitty gritty of these cars. They’re really fun little cars once you get into them.

Now Ive got a JDM import engine in it, Hotshot headers with a cold air intake, Greddy full strait through exhaust, Clutchmaster stage III racing clutch, a lightened flywheel out of a Mazda MX3, and a bunch of other stuff including some exterior type stuff like the 17" Konig Villains and lowering coils.

Anyways I love cars and so far this is the only thing Ive been able to afford. I keep eyeballing some used Mustangs, but my girlfriend thinks we should be focusing on other things to spend our money on LOL.

Chuck I found a Delorean for you:

Folding DeLorean = awesome. I’m totally gonna make one for my desk.

Can we start a pool on how long it takes Sean to comment that “it looks weird without all the stuff in the back?”

I’ve got two minutes.

I’ve got as it’s being printed

I just wanna see a pic of it all done…