Caprica Rests in Good Hands...Hopefully...

Courtesy of io9.com (http://io9.com/5138692/capricas-creators-are-announced)

So, according to io9 Jane Espinson is going to be the head of the writing staff for Caprica at “some point” with RDM being head till he hands over the reigns. Which, and this is my opinion not io9’s won’t be too long if Virtuality takes off (it’s on Fox so I’m pretty sure he would have to roll either a 20 or a 1).

I’m hopefull that this will be a pretty good show, but I really don’t like the idea of a show that is in the past, like Star Trek:Enterprise.

Baltar!!!

Being in the past doesn’t bother me. What bothers me is that the writers of the current BSG are going to leave big holes in explaining what has happened on BSG with the Cylons thus forcing us to watch Caprica in the hopes will get more of an explanation.

This last episode:
http://normdoering.blogspot.com/2009/01/battlestar-galactica-disquiet-that.html

They sort of sweep all the huge questions they’ve been bringing up under the rug to create a new violent conflict that answers none of them and leaves more people dead.

I may be wrong, but I’ve been given the impression that it will not be the case. RDM has said (though I don’t recall where) that the story will be completed, that BSG ends with a period, not with a comma, semicolon, or even worse, and ellipsis :stuck_out_tongue:

My understanding is that Caprica will be a show that is set in the BSG universe, but the only character in common between the shows is Bill Adama, and even little Bill is a very very small, non central character.

Jane Espenson is a great writer. She is a Whedon alum and now an RDM alum so it will be awesome seeing her taking over as a head writer for a show. I can totally back her and her choices.

Jane Espenson is awesome. Therefore, all will be well.

Hmm, I thought I said, “Yay, JE!” somewhere in here, but now I can’t find my comment. Maybe I dreamed it…? Or maybe there’s another thread floating around here? Anyway, if I did dream it, 1) very happy that Jane Espenson is finally getting a shot at being a show-runner, and I’m really looking forward to Caprica, and 2) however, this does make me wonder what RDM is up to. Did his other pilot, Virtuality, get picked up, or does he have some other project going?

I’ve seen very little of JE, only the BSG and DS9. I’m still a little worried, she seems to be a Joss Weaden person and most of Weaton’s stuff seems a bit strange.

Seconded. First time I’ve felt really excited about Caprica yet.

Jane Espenson wroet the episode “The Passage”, which actually made feel for Kat a character I never really liked. So I think that she will do a fine job.

And hey she killed Pike in the Episode the “The Hub”, so she can’t be all bad can she.:smiley:

I have enjoyed her work since her time with Whedon’s Buffy, so I am really looking forward to it.

When prequels (I hope that is how you spell it) are done well I do feel they can be successful. The Star Wars prequels and Star Trek: Enterprise are bad examples because they were done poorly.

So I do disagree with Sean’s statement that doing a Battlestar Galactica prequel is like doing a show on the history of Alderaan because if done well they can be good and entertaining stories.

Example, before I tuned into the new BSG I knew that the 12 Colonies were going to destroyed by the Cylon machines and that the only surviving Battlestar would be named Galactica, and a chance that a Battlestar named Pegasus might also survive… Funny, I think the mini-series was some of their best work to date.

So I won’t write it off without giving it a chance, but then again it doesn’t look like something I would watch.

What were some good ones?

Batman Begins?

I don’t mind the concept of ‘prequel’ in itself as long as it is well executed. Knowing the ending of a story doesn’t mean I will have no interest in the story, or else all World War 2 movies or movies such as Titanic, where you know the ending (the Allies win, the boat sinks) would be totally pointless. It’s the journey and the characters taking this journey that makes it worth watching.

And I think Jane Espenson’s track record (from Buffy to Firefly to BSG) showed that she always has a great respect for her characters’ integrity. So I’m really happy that she’ll be given the reins of Caprica :slight_smile:

Lol BSG 90210

Following the stories and tribulations of a meaningless group of teenagers on Caprica. SPOILER … They all die at the end.

Espenson and RDM. Not to mention the actors: Stoltz and Morales are fine actors who never really got their righteous shot at a major TV role. Morales did good, but the NYPD Blue writers submarined him.

Thirded. :smiley:

Does anyone know what the speculative air date is for Caprica?