Caprica is a Go!

According to Executive Producer Mark Verheidens’ blog:

Sci-Fi Channel has ordered 20 episodes of the BSG prequel, to start airing in early 2010. Plenty of lead time there! I wrote the first post-pilot episode a few months ago, so I am fairly familiar with the story and I’ll just say – if you enjoyed the challenging and intriguing world of Battlestar Galactica, you’ll love Caprica. That said, it’s as different from Battlestar’s “feel” as you can imagine, dealing with emotional and science-fiction conceits in an entirely different and very adult way…

And here’s the Variety story.

Horray!!!
You Rock, Yorrick!!

That’s a nice early xmas gift indeed :slight_smile: Thank gods we’ll have the direct-to-dvd movie “The Plan” in Fall '09 to make us wait until the series starts in 2010. I think it’s interesting in the Variety piece that Sci-Fi wants to reunite as much as possible of the original BSG writing staff before starting production.

Where in the blue hell was Sci Fi’s enthusiasm for the Galactica world when it they were hem-hawing about whether to commit to renewing it for two seasons, which caused RDM to wrap the whole frakkin’ thing up in season 4?

I might be in the minority but I’m actually quite satisfied that BSG is “only” 4 seasons long with a clear beginning, middle and end. I’d rather have 4 great seasons than taking the risk of the show losing a bit of its momentum by lasting longer. Hopefully Caprica will be a worthy addition to the BSG mythology.

wow! amazing news! and 20 episodes too!
of course tho… the series hasn’t even started and i feel like im waiting… early 2010…? psh. fall of 2010 at the earliest is where my bet goes.

i’ll admit to being a bit skeptical about the way they are setting up caprica, painting it as very different from galactica (no space ships:-(.) but if i’ve learned anything from galactica so far it is to have confidence in RDM. so i will.

does anyone know what this means for when they will air the two-hour caprica “miniseries”, or whatever they’re calling it?

Yay! More to look forward to!

Which is awesome, this will keep us all out of the doldrums come March. Right? :wink:

Good news to be sure, but why the long wait? I thought they’d already done the pilot movie. Makes more sense to air it shortly after BSG ends.

Exciting news indeed, thanks Yorick. So for my own clarity:

1- Anyone think we’ll get some pre-Episode 11 webisodes?
2- Fall 2009 BSG movie: The Plan
3- 2010 Caprica 2-hr miniseries/pilot
4- 2010 Caprica (at least 20 episodes)

Well, I sure hope all this happens. Looking forward to it. In the meantime, there’s a whole universe of compelling SciFi out there, just waiting to be watched, read and discussed.

Just noticed that SciFi.com site says 10 Webisodes to start Dec 12.

I can see that point of view. The four-and-done plan did spare us jump-the-shark episodes like Lee receiving a blow to the head and waking up in the land of Oz. Or adding a wise-cracking pre-teen to the cast (Baltar’s newly discovered nephew, who comes to live with Uncle Gaius?).

You mean Boxy? They did that.

I’m not sure why, but right now I’m strangely tempted to post a “Boxy BSG TOS” vs. “Boxy BSG Re-imagined” deathmatch thread.
Fortunately my inherent laziness is keeping me from doing so.

finally !!! An actual frakking plan !! :slight_smile:

They could make Boxy Reimagined a tough girl. It would be controversial at first, but then…

Battlestar TOS had the colonials on the run for over 20years, and then some. Which makes it very tired. How long can you expect them to continue running? 4 Seasons is enough of an emotional rollercoaster for me.

Take, for example, the series finale for Buffy. Most fans who watched it would go, wtf?!?!?! But as an aspiring writer, I get it. Joss Whedon wanted to give the character Buffy a break, a true sense of release from her duties as a Slayer. It was something that Buffy kept hinting throughout the show but everyone ignored her.

!!! That is awesome.

And even more awesome because the semester will be over, so I can obsess more over then than I can currently.

About fraking time!!

but 2010???
Damn sci fi…

2010 - just add longevity to the GWC forum, I am thinking

Frak that…