Caprica Ep 12 (spoilers)

I have been re-watching a few old eps of BSG and have thought the same thing. One thing that has really struck me is that there does not seem to be as much mention of being “Tauron” or “Caprican” in BSG, yet in Caprica people are very concerned about where one is from. I’d like to see at what point they switched over from identifying with their individual planet cultures, and started identifying themselves more as “humaninty” vs cylon.

I think that all fell apart when when they faced what would be considered and unstoppable enemy. The lines that divide fade away fast then.

I think orionpax’s suggestion is definitely feasible, and I was also thinking that over time cultural/societal perceptions of difference change. In BSG time, Taurons seem to be much more integrated into the hegemonic (Caprican) culture, whereas the Gemenese remain somewhat outside that structure (not to mention the people from Aerilon).

I can speculate as to any number of sociohistorical/political processes that might have brought that to pass, but I’m hoping we get to see some of that as Caprica continues :slight_smile:

Thank you! I think that is exactly my problem with Head Zoe. “Life would be a good start I think.” If that line wasn’t there, It would seem like it was entirely Zoe’s idea to create life and I think that would have been much better. BUT it does seem more like God told her to create life and she just figured out how to do it. So one of what happened after that is the humans fault because God wanted life created, it was all his plan.
I have a slight problem with that because that was not what I thought when I watched BSG.

I just hope the writers know what they are doing with this.

I have been re-watching a few old eps of BSG and have thought the same thing. One thing that has really struck me is that there does not seem to be as much mention of being “Tauron” or “Caprican” in BSG, yet in Caprica people are very concerned about where one is from. I’d like to see at what point they switched over from identifying with their individual planet cultures, and started identifying themselves more as “humaninty” vs cylon.

Keep in mind that the central government that Roslyn was part of does not exist yet. Also, I remember reading that in the United States, pre-civil war, people tended to call themselves as “New Yorkers” or “Georgans” rather than Americans. People wrote “The United States are” rather than “The United States is” like they do today.

I’m liking it. I’m in the minority, but I’m liking it a lot. Hot chicks, robots, intrigue. It’s all good.

Oh man, I never thought of it that way. MIND BLOWN Makes perfect sense. I was gonna say something along the lines of Casilda’s comment and how Adama off-handedly mentions his father was Tauron, but nobody seemed to bat an eyelash at it (but those crazy Gemenese are all SUPER RELIGIOUS). But with the whole correlation between individual planets/states being united/reunited into a federation after a war against a superior enemy (the superior enemy being either the abstract “insurmountable differences” of the Civil War or the concrete British of the Revolutionary War), it’s a great analogy.

I can imagine the pitch – “Okay! Dudes dig hot chicks. Everybody likes robots. How about we do a show where we put a hot chick INSIDE a robot? WHAMMO!”