Cabin in the Woods

Word has been trickling out about the Joss Whedon/Drew Goddard co-written project Cabin in the Woods for some time now, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t getting psyched for the film’s release this February. Now according to our friends over at ShockTillYouDrop, we’ll have to wait a lot longer to see the finished product: Word is that the film, which is also being directed by Goddard, is being delayed until January 11, 2011 while MGM converts it to 3-D.

Apparently, it’s not a punishing delay—MGM reports that it’s actually tracking quite well—but for some reason they’ve deemed a 3-D conversion necessary. I suppose with the box office success of recent 3-D horror films like My Bloody Valentine 3-D and The Final Destination, not to mention animated features like Monsters vs. Aliens and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, studios are beginning to see the attraction of 3-D as a way to lure customers back into theaters.

Quite honestly, I’m all for the new wave of 3-D—the tech can be used to great effect today as a subtle way to increase screen depth, and it still has value for more gimmicky uses (read: Cheesy horror films). What I can’t get behind is the notion of holding back what seems to be a completed film to add 3-D as an afterthought. The technology works best when films are made with it in mind, and while I’m sure we’ll see our fair share of 3-D converted classics soon enough (Toy Story 1 & 2 are just the beginning), we’ve yet to see this process successfully work on a live action film. It seems to be a calculated move to get the movie into higher-priced 3-D screens rather than anything artistic. Then again, I wonder how much a 3-D gloss over would have helped Drag Me to Hell at the box office.

I’m sure we’ll eventually find ways to convert films to 3-D that won’t take six months (and they’ll also probably look quite good), but I’m irked that this particular film is getting such a hefty delay for what seems to be a trivial upgrade.

This project may get axed do to MGM’s financial situation, more info at the link-

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/16/will-cabin-in-the-woods-be-the-latest-mgm-casualty/

Well two plus years later the film finally made it to theatres. I just saw it tonight and liked it a lot. Anyone with an interest in the horror genre but with a decidedly whedon-take on it should check it out.

Can’t say too much without giving stuff away, so I will just say go see it. It’s a horror movie, but it’s also sort of a deconstruction of all horror movies, and it’s hilarious.

I loved it. I cant wait to own it so I can try to find all the references in the movie. It was good and funny, I laughed a lot - I love Whedon’s sense of humor. The girl behind me didn’t like it and kept complaining (about me) because nothing was funny. Well I say she was a stupid whore, and we know what happens to stupid whores.

Saw this last weekend, and enjoyed the hell out of it! I can remember seeing marque posters up for this movie 3 years ago!! SO glad Joss finally got it done.

Seeing Mutant Enemy Productions up on the big screen during the opening credits elicited a round of applause from Lady D and I, and the movie delivered! I had no idea of the plot, so as it gradually became apparent what was going on I was drawn right in. And yeah, the dialogue was full of Jossim.

This is what I loved about it…it in one swoop explained everything in every other horror movie that made you say “how are they THAT stupid”??

Well done!

Totally awesome!

4 out of 4 on the Oddball movie meter.

Mrs. Oddball and I saw it over the weekend. Well worth the coins.

OB

Beware the merman :slight_smile:

Love cabin in the woods saw it twice in three days

Would have liked to see a nod towards Cthulhu but besides that this will be one of those rare horror films I pick up on dvd.

That’s tomorrow isn’t it? Something has got to make this week better and soon.

I bought the DVD! Guess what I’m hoping to drunk live tweet tonight!