Buffy vs. Edward

Apologies if this has already been posted:

//youtu.be/RZwM3GvaTRM

io9 had an interesting article about this:

It’s Buffy’s Fault That Vampires Are Weak Now

“And then Buffy staked Edward.” the end

Sheer brilliance. “Slayer. Slay-er.”

Also, my pastor’s name is Jonathan McIntosh. Weird.

I don’t think Buffy would stake Edward - since he doesn’t kill people or even drink their blood.

As a fan of both BtVS and The Twilight Saga I guess the whole “and then Buffy staked Edward, the end” thing is a bit annoying to me. Like if you are a Buffy fan you automatically have to hate Twilight.

You made it simple for me I agree with you.

Buffy would go after the tracker, frak I forgot his name.

Geeks will eat themselves.

Potterheads and Twits will have at each other for the same bad reason that Star Wars and Trek fans have been doing battle for decades. Of course, most are fans of both, but MORE fans of one or t’other.

Let a thousand invectives bloom.

So true, and ridiculous. I like Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, and LOTR, for that matter. Why even have these kind of arguements? Lucas has always been a Trekkie, as he says here.

If you’re wanting more “dangerous” in the vampire genre, keep your eyes open for the IFC production of Laurell K Hamilton’s Anita Blake series.

Buffy defeated an insane hell god with a hammer… the dude would die quickly and with a witty comment at his expense.

I agree. Nobody should be considering either Buffy or Twilight to be serious vamp fiction. If I want that, I watch True Blood or Let the Right One In.

I’ll admit, though, that I’m personally one of those people that can’t stand Twilight. It’s not a knee-jerk reaction based on following popular opinion, though. My two main issues are that:
a) The writing style of Twilight is IMHO some of the most atrocious preteen fiction I’ve come across (yes, that’s right, I actually read part of the first book). It almost reads like fanfic.
b) There’s really nothing original there. It’s just a rehashed version of the Buffyverse, dealing with the same story tropes, but sans the humor that made Buffy work. I think this is the origin of most Buffy fans’ issue with Twilight. So, so, so many people are going apecraaaap over it like it’s an incredibly original story, and few of the predominately young Twilighties aknowledge (or remember, for that matter) the dues it does to its predecessor.

[spoiler]Heh. Technically, Giles defeated an insane hell god with his hand. Not sure what’s more badass.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Well, if you really want to get technical, Giles defeated an innocent young man whose only crime was wanting to live. That’s Ripper badass.[/spoiler]

I have not seen or read Twilight, from the descriptions I really don’t think I’d like it. For a couple of reasons

a) I didn’t like teen angst stories when i had my own teen angst going
b) I prefer my vampires & the world they live in to be dangerous & filled with the violence it most often is associated with.

This does not mean I feel the need to desparage Twilight & it’s ilk. It’s simply not my thing.

I agree with this.

[QUOTE=Aset;194131]I have not seen or read Twilight, from the descriptions I really don’t think I’d like it. For a couple of reasons

a) I didn’t like teen angst stories when i had my own teen angst going
/QUOTE]

I concurr. I’ve heard it’s not that well written–course a lot of sci fi I like probably isn’t either (many, many ST novels come to mind). I’m not sure I’m the target audience for it, and I undestand how it could touch a spark in a teen, I’m not sure I get all the adult love for the saga–but without really exploring it I suppose it’s not fair to say.

All that being said, I enjoy Buffy dusting vamps, Edward is a vamp, ergo, I want to see Buffy dust him.

I agree that the writing is pretty terrible. I would never be one to say that Twilight is a work of literature by any stretch of the imagination, and I’m a fan of the series. I also agree that it is not original - it’s pretty much Buffy without the sex. That said - I still enjoy it. I don’t necessarily need all my fiction to be original - after all Angel was a rehash of Forever Knight. I guess I just relate to the metaphor - as overt as it might be.

I don’t know. Angel had a soul, not just a special diet. Also, Buffy sent Angel’s butt to hell at the end of season 2. I also don’t think she’d have his demonspawn. Cordelia- now she could produce some demonspawn!