BSG Complete Series Box Set

To release July 28th:

in regular and blu-ray

I already own everything but season 4.5 on DVD and I ain’t getting no Blu Ray player (not cause I don’t want one, mind you). The bastards did stick extra special features in the complete series set not available on the other sets, though. I hates them so much, precious!

I wonder what sort of collectible Cylon figurine comes with it. A toaster?

I’ve been holding out on buying BSG dvds, as I suspected this is coming. Also from what I’ve heard the Region 2 DVD season sets lack many special features that the Region 1 DVDs had. Hopefully the Region 2 of this set has them all.

Agreed. I even have 4.5 on pre-order, too…

Well, I’m not surprised. At least I have not purchased the DVDs for 4.0 or 4.5 yet. I’ll put this on my birthday list, and sell the others I suppose.

(I’m still waiting for that super-special Star Wars boxed set…but that’s a new thread.)

Thirded… I wouldn’t normally care, cause I figured they would do a box set of the series anyway, and I didn’t want to wait… but they always put in that extra stuff to entice you. Must… resist…

There are more special features on this box set? Damn :frowning: Does anyone know what they are? Because unless they are something, like, amazing, I’ll probably just go and buy the Season 4.5 DVD seeing as I have all the other ones already.

If and when I finally switch to Blu Ray (I have to be able to afford it and be sure that it’s not the transitional technology that it really is and that it will ultimately be replaced by…nothing at all, since everything’s going to be on demand downloads soon enough) I might be a complete series set. Otherwise, I don’t need it. A fancy box and an extra disc of special features aren’t enough to entice me to part with what little discretionary spending money I do have.

You gotta love marketing people though, they do have a plan:D

Sadly, that nice box won’t have The Plan.

Well, I already own all of the previously-released DVD sets… However, I am going to purchase the complete series on Blu-ray. Deepdiscount.Com will be holding their semi-annual 25% off sale from 7/17-8/2. Current price for the Blu-ray set is $222. That makes it $167 with the 25% off coupon!

We were going to buy it anyway, but to be able to get it for $167 is SWEET!

Even if I didnt have the season DVDs already I wouldnt buy the box set.
I dont have the money to spend on something like that.
Oh well.

And what a sad day that will be… some of my most enjoyable hours have been spent wandering through isles of soon-to-be-archaic media. I half think we’ll always have some sort of tangible media around to be purchased – maybe just for the pleasure of collecting it.

The Digital Bits has the first review of the set!

Link

A week from Tuesday cannot get here soon enough :slight_smile:

In addition, we get a press release about The Plan’s home video debut (before it airs on Sci-Fi!):

“Now then… Universal has official announced that Battlestar Galactica: The Plan will street on DVD and Blu-ray (as expected) on 10/27 (SRP $26.98 and $39.98 - it will also be available for digital download that day). We believe the SyFy broadcast happens in November, but it hasn’t yet been announced. Both the DVD and Blu-ray will feature deleted scenes, commentary with actor/director Edward James Olmos and 4 featurettes (including From Admiral to Director: Edward James Olmos and The Plan, The Cylons of The Plan, The Cylon Attack and Behind The Plan). The Blu-ray will also offer exclusive BD-Live access and an interactive Battlestar Galactica Trivia Game.”

Just sold my complete collection (sans 4.5, of course) to a friend for $50! Wouldn’t have gotten much more from a store and didn’t have time to try ebay or craigslist before Comic Con starts next week. Hoping they have it for no more than, say, Amazon at the con, but not holding my breath. Selling the first three seasons of Lost on DVD also, the only two TV shows I’m really compelled to upgrade to blu ray. These people get me coming and going.

Yes, indeed. Not a day goes by that I don’t mourn the passing of Tower Records, HMV and the wider selection at Borders. Especially as a classical music lover. I used to discover some rare gems browsing through brick and mortar stores, and it’s not quite the same to do it online (although thanks to sites like Imeem I’m discovering some pop music that I would never have bought before but that I can now check out streaming for free. So I guess there’s a silver lining there).

Just sold my complete collection (sans 4.5, of course) to a friend for $50! Wouldn’t have gotten much more from a store and didn’t have time to try ebay or craigslist before Comic Con starts next week. Hoping they have it for no more than, say, Amazon at the con, but not holding my breath. Selling the first three seasons of Lost on DVD also, the only two TV shows I’m really compelled to upgrade to blu ray. These people get me coming and going.

Yeah, if I could afford it, I’d do that. Right now I have to be satisfied with being able to transfer these files to my iPod so I can have a little re-watch before the 28th each night before bed (this way I don’t have to fight my mother-in-law for the digital flat screen downstairs, although maybe if I did it would finally get her watching this show, which she’s been talking about doing for about two years now).

With all the craft-y and creative people at the Galactic Cooler, and all the people who have already bought the individual seasons, I bet someone could make a few bucks making & selling “GWC BSG: The Complete Series” boxes. Just spiffy-lookin’ boxes with GWC graphics on one side and BSG-style (non-copyrighted) graphics on the other.

So now that I’ve upgraded I thought I’d chime in with a review. I give the complete series blu ray box set 3 out of 5 stars, and I’m more than a little disappointed. The episodes look great, Razor is included, as well as the first bout of “webisodes.” The Face of the Enemy webisodes, however, are not included; I also wish they’d delayed the release of this set until the release of “The Plan” so we could have it all in one box. There are no booklets, inserts, or even printing on the discs to indicate which specific episodes are on which individual discs, very annoying, and the discs are rather awkwardly held in flimsy cardboard sleeves which they rub against going in and out. The box itself is pretty and kind of neat, but bulky and not particularly functional, and the Cylon action figure rests in a cutout hole in the top in a plastic sleeve; just a cheap plastic toy, I already have a much cooler one from Comic con with changeable arms and blood painted on. I’m glad to have the complete set in high def, but definitely wish I’d waited for some of these issues to be resolved, or at least a price cut.

Are all the episodes from the mini-series and season 1 in hight def. I want to see micheal hogan shirtless in 1080p!

serious question: I have found that often CG effects look more cartoony in HD because the tech of CG is helped by the blurryness of lower resolution. Does it look as good as dvd or does the HD break the 4th wall ( as it did for Indiana Jones and the crystal skull)?

so it’s really just a collector’s item. My semi-seasonal DVD sets will do me just fine. (unless that powerball lotto comes through of course $213 million this week.)