Browser War with poll

SeraphX had an thread on browser war, but it didn’t have a poll.
http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=3336

Which is your preferred browser now?

Firefox.

Likes: Plugins make it powerful. AdBlock, for example. Holy cow, what a difference. I turn it off for sites I frequent if they don’t use crummy ads, but there are many obnoxious wiggling, animated, speaking, etc advertisements out there that make browsing terrible.

I’ve written a few tiny plugins for myself too, mostly for Wikipedia, and I like the extensibility.

Dislikes: There are still occasional memory leaks. I’m running the 3.6 beta and it’s waaaay better than the last version I ran, but still, once in a while it either takes a bite out of RAM or suffers a seizure.

A quick rundown of why I don’t use other browsers:
Chrome:
Quick, but I miss out on the plugins I like.
IE:
MASSIVE CRIPPLING SECURITY FLAWS
Opera:
Don’t like the UI or many of the users. :slight_smile:
Lynx:
It is no longer 1991
Safari:
Just don’t like it in Windows. It’s great on my iPhone.

oh wow, 5 for Firefox already… perhaps i should have made 3 options for Firefox, 3.5+, 3.0 or 2.x

Thunderscreech, that’s awesome. I have been wanting to write a dictionary addon for my native language. is there any samples or guides on how to write one?

I did it a couple years ago, I found a page with a skeleton plugin that showed how to do it, and it was excellent. Basically, I was able to put together some Javascript and have it run on content in a page as if it had been included.

I’ll see if I can dig up the links.

I voted Firefox, but I use Google Chrome for Youtube and flash heavy pages (like the GWC forum) and Firefox for everything else.

I have a love-hate relationship with Chrome. I hate that it’s such a memory hog. My memory goes from 1.5 gb to 3.2gb after I start Chrome. Under Vista, it hogs a lot of system resources. I restart Chrome once every 4-6 hours depending how much I’m using it. Like when my memory usage reach 4.2 gb, I quit Chrome and it goes back to 1.2-1.5 gb. That’s 3 gigs just for Chrome!!

Lol. You incorrectly copied the url…

Edit: Here:
http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=3336

I guess I’m the first Opera user so far. I’ve used it for years. I’ve tried Firefox and Chrome and I’m happy to keep them both installed, but I’m more comfortable with Opera. I have it tweaked to be just how I like it.

I use Safari, primarily, but I keep FireFox on hand for problematic sites (and so I can stay logged in to a second account some places.)

Whoa, someone voted that they use Internet Explorer, the browser responsible for more compromised and otherwise infected computers than all the rest put together.

Germany and France just advised that everybody should use competitors, but the EU has a bit of a grudge about MicroSoft’s dominance. MS claims it’s because people tend to stick with older versions (although what that says about their new versions, I’m not sure.)

they gave out that advisory because Chinese government exploited weaknesses in IE to steal email information from its citizens and then used that to steal e-mails from gmail.

Google is furious about that, and they have went as far as stop cooperating with the Chinese government to removed the filter that blocks keywords from searching the internet. The fallout is going to be pretty huge. Probably means googles will exist the China market.

Yay Google! Just saw an article in Newsweek w/ an interview where the one founder says he feels really strongly about this because he grew up behind the iron curtain. Do I think it will make a difference in China–probably not. But it does bring attention to the issue, worldwide, even if for the nanosecond that it is going on.

i can’t believe none of the other brosers have more than 1 vote :stuck_out_tongue:

For those who used Opera, does it also have addons like Firefox, or is it more like Widgets/Side Panels?

also, Opera prides itself on speed, how do you feel Opera performs against Firefox/Chrome?

I’m giving Chrome a week try out right now, but so far I think when the week is up I’m going to go back to Firefox, so I voted for FF

Good luck with that. Hope you have RAM to spare. If you do, Chrome is great.

hansioux, the link in your OP is still broken.

fixed. thanks

Firefox 3.6 has been released. as usual, some addons are slower to upgrade.

Chrome keeps freezing on my scottrade and yahoo email pages for some reason which gets quite annoying

I don’t use scottrade, but I don’t have problems with yahoo mail on either PC or laptop with Chrome.