breaking watercooler news111

this momma cat and 4 kittens moved under my porch stairs about 2 weeks ago. a guy down the street says they were living in his garage until he started doing construction, then he saw the mom moving them to my house. i’ve been leaving food and water for the mom. this morning, all but one were gone. just now i found the one kitten still alone wandering the driveway.

i’m thinking it was abandoned. gonna try to soften up some kitty chow. i hope it lives.

Hope the cat makes it. Name him or her after a character from the TV show.

Keep us posted! :slight_smile:

boomer maybe?

If you want the best chance for that kitten to survive get it to an Vet ASAP. They’ll be able to tell exactly what kind of foods it needs and how best to give it. From the picture you posted it might be young enough to need to be bottle fed, it’s hard to tell. Also with strays you always need to be careful for diseases, and other such nasties.

She’s adorable and I’d hate this to turn into a tragedy.

Rorlins

yeah, trip to vet tomorrow in am.

We have a story that is very similar. One day when emptying some lawn clippings into our waste bin, I saw a fuzzy white lump in our recycling bin. It was a 2-3 week old kitten, all by himself. Here’s a pic showing his actual size compared to my hand:
http://public.fotki.com/mzeddean/oliver/oliver/image018.html
We took him to the vet that morning and everything looked fine, so we bought a feed bottle and powder to start hand rearing him.

I seemed to recall a life lesson that is a stray dog, cat or similar turns up on your doorstep you should take them in. It’s a karmic thing, I think.

Later that day his mother showed up, and we realised then that his mum’s milk was best for him. It was a karma thing: if he was meant to be with us he would come back.

Three weeks later, he did. He just showed up on our driveway!
http://public.fotki.com/mzeddean/oliver/oliver/oliverkitten.html
He waltzed in and, after a few token hisses started to make himself at home. We took him back to the vet: he was a little undernourished, and crawling with fleas but aside from that he was in good shape. He was well into solid foods and figured out what a litter tray was for in very short order.

And, 5 months later, this is oliver today. Beautiful nature, very much a member of the household.
http://public.fotki.com/mzeddean/oliver/oliver/dscf2096resize.html

The point of my story is, yes, definitely take him to the vet and immunised ASAP. Based on the size in the photo it may be a bit too early for solids, even crushed down. Anyway I think kittens need alot of liquid in their early diet as they are at risk of dehydration. Your vet will give you good advice here, I am sure.

good luck! And my tip for a name is Hera: it’s had a second chance at life hasn’t it?

gaf

yeah that’s awesome!
but Felix Gaeta has had a second chance at life, as well as Adama, Roslin, Starbuck, Tyrol, Helo and Athena… all good names too!!!

good luck with fuzzy lumpkins over there!

If you can get the kitten sexed for sure, I think Hera is a great name. Boomer is also a good gender neutral name. My family has a long history of taking in stray cats. They do make wonderful pets when they’re raised from an early age by humans. Good luck : )

How about Anders? Was alone as leader on Caprica and survived to get a second chance from Starbuck.

LOL, I guess Felix and Kat are too cliche for cat names.

Romo the cat? Or what was Romo’s cat named?

Just dont name it Baltar, my feeling is by the time the series is over there will be zero sympathy left for him.

Good luck to you and the beast… :smiley:

Baltar is perfect for a cat, cats are solitary, stalking, thoughtful, self interested animals, who are really fuzzy and cute.

All of those could describe Baltar.

here’s what happened. first off, i got 2 rescue puppies who really didn’t like this kitten. so i was gonna make sure it lived and then give it to someone. i’ve had three cats and they all ran away, so i don’t think i’m good with cats, just dogs. Anyway, i went to petco to get some cat milk for it and the cute girl who worked there fell in love with the cat and asked what i was gonna do with it. I told her i’d find someone to take it. So she wanted me to give it to her, so i did. Now i got a good reason to go back there and check up on my cat :wink:

and before you say anything, my keyboard does not look that bad in real life, it’s the damn flash! - messed up the cat’s black eyes too.

You save a kitty… and in the process you win the heart of a pet store goddess. Fair trade!

gaf

Dear TighGetsPunchedALot,

Thank you so much for taking in the distressed and voiceless outcasts of this society. I’ve done some work with rescue groups and believe me there aren’t enough people like you out there. I love man!

Cami’s mom

P.S. Howard rules

you could read that message board?
i am ‘mooby’ over there.

Great news about the cat!

I understand perfectly about the keyboard. My apartment looks messy because of the flash, and my car also. My desk at work is awfully flashy messy. Those darn flashes!

(couldn’t resist…) :wink:

that flash adds 10 lbs to my gut too :frowning:

Hooray! I’m so glad you were able to give the kitten a good home. Thank you for being a kind person and taking care of a little creature who needed your help. :slight_smile:

By Presidential Decree:
AIRLOCK.
message ends.

no no, very nice of you to have helped out !!