Book Club Selection, September/October 2009

Dear readers, the poll is here again.

Per past practice, please recall that:

[ul]
[li]You may vote for as many of the options listed as you would like. In fact, it is encouraged.
[/li][li]Don’t be shy, share your opinion of the books! Lobby for your favorites, and feel free to read through the threads already dedicated to these books (and add to them, if you feel so moved). Friendly and fun is our motto here.
[/li][li]Your votes will be public.
[/li][*]Voting will close August 30, and the Book Club Discussion thread posted September 1.[/ul]

Whether it wins or not, I’m reading ‘Shatnerquake’. I can’t help it. It’s a sickness.

Thinking about reading The Time Traveler’s Wife anyway, so it gets my vote. So what’s Shatnerquake about, Talos? (I mean besides, the obvious.)

Amy

From Amazon:

Product Description
It’s Shatner VS Shatners!
William Shatner? William Shatner. WILLIAM SHATNER!!! It’s the first ShatnerCon with William Shatner as the guest of honor! But after a failed terrorist attack by Campbellians, a crazy terrorist cult that worships Bruce Campbell, all of the characters ever played by William Shatner are suddenly sucked into our world. Their mission: hunt down and destroy the real William Shatner.

Featuring: Captain Kirk, TJ Hooker, Denny Crane, Rescue 911 Shatner, Singer Shatner, Shakespearean Shatner, Twilight Zone Shatner, Cartoon Kirk, Esperanto Shatner, Priceline Shatner, SNL Shatner, and - of course - William Shatner!

No costumed con-goer will be spared in their wave of destruction, no redshirt will make it out alive, and not even the Klingons will be able to stand up to a deranged Captain Kirk with a lightsaber. But these Shatner-clones are about to learn a hard lesson…that the real William Shatner doesn’t take crap from anybody. Not even himself.

It’s Shatnertastic!

From the Inside Flap
"…getting a lightsaber-wielding Captain Kirk in the same room with “Boston Legal’s” Denny Crane is definitely worth the cover price in comedic gold." - Wizard Magazine

“It’s like Lloyd Kaufman and Sam Raimi’s mutant offspring wrote a book.” -Wil Wheaton, Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation

“This is surreal and weird and funny, and it’s also super violent, in the same food-coloring-plus-corn-syrup-equals-fake-blood sort of way as Evil Dead 2 or Bad Taste.” - THE PORTLAND MERCURY’S BLOGTOWN

“It’s like Die Hard, but instead of Bruce Willis fighting terrorists it’s William Shatner fighting other versions of himself… In other words, it’s fucking awesome!” - CARLTON MELLICK III, author of Satan Burger

mal3607 posted about it and I thot it was a joke. I was pleastantly incorrect.

Old Man’s War. Old Man’s War!

But Time Traveller’s Wife is gonna win cause the movie just came out…sigh

You could be wrong. Time Traveller’s Wife will largely be considered a “chick flick” even though it’s got a sci-fi bent, so I think it has that going against it.

OMG that sounds hilarious!!! I love Bruce Campbell so much!!

I voted for Time Travelers Wife not because of the upcoming movie, but because I’ve read the book before and love it! I’ve stated my reasons in said thread.

I also voted for To My Scattered Bodies Go. Farmer’s Riverworld series is one of the most original Sci-Fi books I’ve ever read. It’s completely awesome, especially this book, which I think is one of the best in the series (although, admittedly, I haven’t read the whole series, partially because I can’t find all the books anywhere).

For those who don’t know Riverworld, the concept is pretty simple. Everyone that ever lived from the dawn of time to somewhere like 1990, is re-born along the banks of a planet spanning river. Farmer uses both historical and fictional characters, and tells a very compelling and interesting story. Highly recommend it.

Chris

Come on, Anathem. I’m telling you guys, awesome discussion abound with that one.

I am totally rooting for Old Man’s War.

It’s about time, and yet… Shatnerquake

I didn’t vote for it, but I thought you guys might like to know that Amazon’s pitching Shatnerquake with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Well, it looks like Old Man’s War is gaining a big lead. I guess I know what I’ll be using my free audible download for. :slight_smile:

Chris

Old Man’s War is winning? My subliminal mind control must be working…

There are a few days left to vote… thanks to those who already have, and to those who haven’t, please do so :smiley:

Poll closes next Tuesday

Today’s the last day for voting!

As Old Man’s War has won this round, this thread is now closed.