Book Club Selection: October

Greetings and Salutations fellow GWC Book Crüe and welcome to the officially rebooted Book Club.

Please note:

* You will be able to vote for multiple books
* You will have 20 books to chose from
* Campaigning is recommended. This is friendly and fun. If you have thoughts about a particular book...let us know!
* Your votes [b]will [/b]be public per the vote
* Voting will close on September 30

Be sure to take a look around the forum to read some very interesting discussions which may help you decide what to vote on!

Foundation would be a great choice. Same with the Years of Rice and Salt. I get the sense that too many haven’t read either of these books (not as much with Foundation). In the spirit of “everything that has happened will happen again” I strongly encourage we read The Years of Rice and Salt.

I voted for “Little Brother” and “Frankenstein”, both of which are available free of charge online.

I am going to try to commit to actually “joining” this book club, which would be my second, and also actually read the books. If I keep it up in October it’ll be my third month!

I have to say, I hope that Foundation doesn’t win because I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I liked the Robot books when I read them back in early HS, but Foundation (which I read for the first time just this year) left me cold.

I’m going to try to fully participate in this one. I voted for a bunch I wouldn’t mind reading, and it looks like Foundation, Dark Force Rising, and Snow Crash are tied at the moment. Hrm. Tough call.

‘The Years of Rice and Salt’ cuz I’ve never even heard of it.

Frankenstein- for Halloween, for fun, for doing something out of the box.

It’s an alternative history book that uses reincarnation to follow a group of kindred souls as they travel through multiple existances and historical events. It also proves a point that I think a lot could use to read. No matter what you think of this timeline, humanity is inherintly flawed. Evil and corruption are not defined by religious beliefs.

World War Z!!! A fantastic book on so many levels - very intelligent scifi and written in a documentary style that is so amazing, vivid, and compelling. I can’t wait for his next book.

Sounds like something I could digdug.

Yay Snowcrash is winning. It has the second best opening to a book i have ever read. Well actually it is the best opening but does not have the best opening line (that goes to Stephen King’s The Gunslinger). Snowcrash is the book that introduced me to Neal Stephenson. I picked it up randomly one day at a bookstore just on a whim and ended up totally amazed. Ive read it many many times.

But i picked The Moon is a Harsh Mistress because it is an amzing story. Also i forgot to vote for more than one book

Best opening chapter EVAH!

I see “Snow Crash” is in the lead now. I highly recommend this book. Seriously, if you haven’t read it, it’s still one of those books you should check out regardless if it wins.

Looks like Snow Crash does indeed have a two vote lead over Foundation. I’m excited, I’ve always wanted to read that, and now I’ll get neat discussion to boot. Neat.

Yeah. I would like to read Snow Crash also. I think it’s the one Pike said to stop everything and read now. I didn’t obey. hangs head in shame

I, for one, haven’t read Snow Crash yet, so

1. next month’s book club’s book of the month is acually going to be the first book club book that I’m going to read as a new book and

2. from what I’ve heard about Snow Crash, it would go along well with Neuromancer thematically, if anyone has the extra time.

I voted for ‘Frankenstein,’ because it is one of my all-time favorite books and quite appropriate for Halloween, & ‘Snow Crash,’ because all of the positive comments have me intrigued.

I am definitely going to join the GWC Book Club with the October book (after multiples past attempts/failures). I am clearing the way and am not starting too many others books right now.

Cheers!