Book Club Selection: July/August 2009

Dear readers, the poll is here.

Per past practice, please recall that:

[ul]
[li]You may vote for as many of the options listed as you would like. In fact, it is encouraged.
[/li][li]Don’t be shy, share your opinion of the books! Lobby for your favorites, and feel free to read through the threads already dedicated to these books (and add to them, if you feel so moved). Friendly and fun is our motto here.
[/li][li]Your votes will be public.
[/li][li]Voting will close June 30, and the Book Club Discussion thread posted July 1.
[/li][/ul]

C’mon Old Man’s War!

Game of Thrones! Game of Thrones!

I’ve been looking for a reason to read this sucker, it looks hilarious, and, I’ve already read a lot of this stuff…lol (although a re-read might work :P)

nooooooo Old Man’s War why are you losing noooooooooooooooo

S’OK. Most of the winners do a period as also-rans before they get the win.

P&P&Z, though, I suspect will be an exception.

I have to go with Pullman this time around, because I really feel like I missed some key elements of the Dark Materials in the first pass a few years ago…I just didn’t quite take away from it what he was really trying to convey.

I’m hoping a good round-table discussion with the literary hivemind will remedy some of that.

So true. How many months was Foundation 2nd? Not to mention Neuromancer (i.e. the book that killed the Book Club)… :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t forget to vote, dear readers! You still have until next Tuesday :slight_smile:

I have read The Road and hated it - I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I know some liked it but…ick

I have started PP&Zombies. It is…different. Looking forward to seeing which book wins.

I think what most helped me understand The Golden Compass was re-reading it after watching the special features with Philip Pullman on The Golden Compass DVD as it actually gives you some insight into what he was going for. The His Dark Materials trilogy is my favorite YA/Kids series ever. Hands down better than HP IMO.

Why did Solaris not make the list?

Because no one talked about it during the nomination period :frowning:

Two more days of voting!

The Golden Compass is so December '08!!!

I just went back and looked and Old Man’s War has been on every poll but 2, and has gotten anywhere from 1 vote on the first poll to 12 votes. Sigh. I will get GWC to read this book! I will! It’ll happen!

Golden Compass out of nowhere. I guess it would be worth a re-read… I never could decide if I liked it or not.

Also kind of bummed GoT got less votes that P&P&Z. :\

Ah well. It was worth a try.

I dunno about books hanging around & finally winning. Game of Thrones has been on every one & still hasn’t. I’ve given up at this point.

As for Golden Compass? Yeah, I’ll pass, see you guys next month!

Awww, don’t be like that. Challenge yourself to try something new. I didn’t vote for it, but I also am willing to read it.

That being said, “VOTE FOR OLD MAN’S WAR!”

It’s not new for me, Solai. I didn’t like it the first time, I really don’t want to read it again.

Is there a book club deathmatch? :slight_smile: