Book Club Selection: February

Greetings and Salutations fellow GWC Book Crüe and welcome to the Book Club.

Please note:

• You will be able to vote for multiple books
  • Campaigning is recommended. This is friendly and fun. If you have thoughts about a particular book…let us know!
  • Your votes will be public per the vote
  • Voting will close on January 31

Be sure to take a look around the forum to read some very interesting discussions which may help you decide what to vote on!

All my choices are tied for first right now!

I would recomend “Old Man’s War” for an interesting take on recruiting people for a very dangerous job, and it was a good read too.

So many cool options… some I have either read or know of, and others I have not. I can’t wait to see what the winner is.

I feel a trip to Half Price Books in my future.

It’s an interesting take, although I have some specific reservations about the tech. Still, I voted for it as it’s a ripping good yarn.

I would be cool if Neuromancer wins, but it will come across as dated. The Mote in God’s Eye though will never be dated and for those that haven’t experienced the Motey’s are in for a real treat. Same with the Blaine’s. :smiley:

It would be cool if Neuromancer finally won… since it’s come pretty close the past few months.

And I’m still rooting for Chabon…

My vote is cast, fingers crossed…

Yes, yes it would.

I voted for A Game of Thrones, but Neuromancer will probably win.

I am actually a little surprised that not one person has voted for Twilight. I haven’t read it…but as it is such a phenomena right now (at least, that’s what the press would lead us to believe) I am sure there is someone who has read it and would recommend it. I think.

The nice thing about the club is that the also-rans end up winning further down the line.

(unless they get zero votes…then they get taken off the plate for a little while, but eventually return)

I wouldn’t call those also-rans, but yeah, some of them do come back.

I have to say, I’d avoid Twilight like the plague. Teenage romance, vampires, and sparkles? I’m a girly girl, but no. Just no.

I know there are those that say it has its merits, but I have no interest in it. My sunday school students have been trying to convince me for months to read it, but to no avail. This is harsh for me, but it is what it is.

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion…

Thanks for that. When I saw it on the list I got a little concerned. I get enough whining at home, I so don’t wanna read some too.

I am the one who requested “Twilight”, I was reading the third book (I borrowed it!) and I now amd seeing how boring this series is. The Author of the series has a warped view of relationships, the main male character Edward is a major Control Freak and as for Bella I wish I could toss her out the airlock.

I am not finishing the series, some of the other books on the list seem interesting and I may look into them, I may go to the library and on friday.

I’ll probably give the first book of Twilight a try. It’s popular, so it’s good to be conversant. But from what I’ve heard, it goes off the rails faster than Potter did.

My wife is one of the most girly girls I have ever known, and she could not finish Twilight. It was just too much angst and melodrama for her.

I will read it if it is the GWC Book Club selection, but with a great deal of trepidation.