Book Club Selection: August

All,

As Chuck and the crüe have been incredibly busy they asked me to re-kickoff the Book Club. In the interest of forward momentum we will kickoff voting today, August 9th and close on August 13th.

There will be 5 books to chose from. You have 1 vote, and it will be public.

Enjoy!

Are we supposed to/allowed to give reasonings for our choice, or is this like a secret ballot except that we know what everyone votes? Or are we supposed to have convinced people one way or another already?

No need to defend…vote for whatever you like!

Is this going to be the standard procedure from now on? Because the old voting process was different - not saying it was better or worse necessarily, but different.

I for one liked not having to choose ONE exact favorite, but just vote for all the books I like and then the book that gets a majority is it.

To be perfectly honest, I searched for one of the old ones and could not find one. We can amend this in the future based on everyone’s feedback, so everyone please feel free to state your thoughts here as well as your thoughts on books.

Is there any particular rationale for these particular books as options? There doesn’t really seem to be a common thread between them. Just curious what the process is, since I wasn’t around for the last book club (or entirely missed it if I was).

I think that taking the suggestions that are made (and the threads therein) and gauging interest based on that for the “finalists” each month would be good. Besides which, it’s not like books can’t come up as a ‘finalist’ until it is finally chosen, right? :wink:

The way it used to be was that Chuck took the 20 most-talked-about books from the book selection forum and made a non-public multi-option poll where you’d vote for all the books you’d be interested in.

The only thing I see that is wrong with this poll is that there is no Baltar option available. :smiley:
I think Foundation has been referenced the most and this gives us all a excuse to read, whichever book gets selected.

Frankenstein, where it all started.

So, next time around I’ll enable multi-vote, check.

I selected 5 books as we have already lost a quarter of the month, and I am trying to kick start this fast and not lose momentum.

Next time around we will do more books and multi-vote…sound good?

http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=741

But this is fine for the re-boot.

Voted for Heir, but sorta wanted Frankenstein too. It’s a quick read. Either way I’d be fine. Might be fun to do some EU books since we’re all still high on SW- well I am least.

It appears that we have a runaway lead here. It will be interesting to see if Monday swings the vote in a different direction…but I don’t think it is too far from reality to say go dust off your old copies of Heir…

I would love to read along but all my books are packed away in storage…all the way in the back.

Well, this is no brainer for me cuz it so happens that I’m reading (rereading) Heir to the Empire anyway.

First time I read Frankenstein I was shocked how good it was. I’d seen all the films but the book blows 'em all away.

I’m currently reading Heir to the Empire so it’s a no-brainer for me. I’m glad that it is currently ahead in the voting. I’m about 1/3 of the way through it and have been really enjoying it.

I just ordered a used copy from amazon, so I’m in

Damn it, Keara! I know we should never have engaged in that Vulcan mind-meld!
Look what’s happened! We’re thinking concurrent thots! :eek::smiley: