Blade Runner

I agree. For that reason I like the voice over version better.

Would love to see this as an arc. Great scifi. The music is also awesome.

I would like to throw my support for an eventual comparison between Battlesar Galactica and Blade Runner when the series is over as there seem to be many parallels between the two.
Maybe we could throw in John Carpenter’s “The Thing” while we are at it.
Thanks for reading;

There would be so much to discuss w/ Blade Runner I bet you could get two 'casts out of it. I’d love to hear this one!

I imagine Blade Runner will appear sometime in the future, it almost goes without saying. I for one would enjoy the discussion immensely.

We could probably do a ten-week arc, considering how many different versions of this movie exist. :slight_smile:

this sounds like a great idea.

I wasn’t here for the thread when it first blew through the forums, so I’d like to throw in an enthusiastic thumbs up for the idea too.

“Chew, if only you could see what I’ve seen with your eyes!”

Don’t make me bump my Philip K. Dick Arc thread again!

There is so much conversation potential regarding Bladerunner.
I would suggest that regardless of what version you guys watch, you should view the entire documentary “Dangerous Days” before doing the podcast. Now THERE is a lot to talk about!

Welcome aboard, Rodney.

I’m unfamiliar with “Dangerous Days.” Is it included with one of the super-special editions?

i have only seen the directors cut (since thats the one my dad owns), is the theatrical any better?

Dangerous Days is the feature length(!) documentary about Blade Runner. I got it on the 2 disk DVD set that came out in 2007. I’m sure its in the larger sets as well, but only in more recent releases of the movie, since the documentary was made for the 2007 release of the movie.

i have only seen the directors cut (since thats the one my dad owns), is the theatrical any better?

A tough question. My favorite is the “The Final Cut” which was released in 2007. Its only slightly different then the Director’s Cut, and most of the changes are technical rather then story changes.

I think the theatrical cut is easier to understand, but ultimatly weaker. It explains things that don’t need explaining at times, but is a little easier to follow the first time you see it. It also has a different ending, which I have found most fan do not like as much. It is worth seeing if you enjoyed the movie though, if only to see how much editing can change a movie.

Wikipedia article on all the different versions

“Dangerous Days” is the making of documentary that is included with the “Final Cut”.

It is long, but very insightful as to just how much went into making this movie. For that matter it gives you an idea of what it takes to make all movies, more than any other “making of” documentary I have seen. Only the Lord of the Rings documentaries comes close. But those are more about JRR, locations, props and sets, while this deals more with art, people, conflict and studio involvement. It also shows just how much of a genius Ridley Scott is.

I could devote an entire podcast to just talking about Deckards whiskey glass. Just the lighting in this movie could be an entire show. Please dont lump Bladerunner with on a group of 80’s sci fi movies or a Phillip K Dick entry. It deserves its own spot.

When Roy Batty visits Hannibal Chew to learn more about Tyrell, he says:
“Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc.”

He is quoting William Blakes Poem “America: A Prophecy” (1793)
“Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d
Around their shores: indignant burning with the fires of Orc
And Bostons Angel cried aloud as they flew thro’ the dark night.”

Its about rebellion.

Long overdue. It is time.

Bladerunner/Dangerous Days - NOW people! Come on! Not having done a Bladerunner show on the GWC podacst is like a having a religious podcast and not having talked about a deity.

I admit, I was hoping they’d announce Blade Runner in #206. There’s just so much good stuff out there.

Now look here young man!

Show a little respect, these people have a lot on their plate, you know like ‘lives’ and ‘jobs’ and such. I am sure if you ask nicely they will find time to fit it in, you know… that whole honey vs vinager thing and all.

grumble, grumble…Cheeky bastard.

And its not like we are in a hurry or anything,… Bloody Hell we have at least until December 2012! After that… who knows? :smiley:

(yes tongue was firmly planted within cheek during entire rant)

i guess you mean attracting more flies with honey than with vinegar?

who the heck wants to ATTRACT flies? and i happen to like vinegar! its the condiment of the new millenium!

i respect the GWC podcasters. why else would i be slinging “vinegar” all over the place to get them to talk about the best sci-fi movie ever?

and never use the image of john cleese in vain again. blasphemy!

Good on fries.

Wait, what where we talking about?