Bioshock Infinite

So, were to begin. This game is utterly incredible. The mechanics of the game have really been refined since the original Bioshock, sure the “Plasmid” powers are now “Vigors” and you use salts instead of Eve, but they’re essentially the same. Switching between each power is mapped to hot key allowing easy combining of the powers such as electrifying the flock of crows you just sent to eat out your enemies eyes. My two favorites would be the Shock Jockey, which is essentially a lighting strike, and the Bucking Bronco, which lifts foot soldiers into the air. These were quite useful when tackling auto turrets in that you can disable the turret for a second, send all your enemies into the air and then take out the pesky turret without opposition. The skyhook/skyline transport system opens up the play areas creating a options to attack vertically or drop in behind and so on.

But the thing that makes this game fantastic for me is the story. It starts out fairly simply, well simple in that your a investigator in 1912 who’s fallen into debt and is such sent to the floating city of Columbia to rescue a girl named Elizabeth. Holy crap is that city beautiful, i spent the opening section exploring every nook and cranny I could while interacting with its people. I’m still in awe at how real 2K made it feel, it starts out looking perfect but as the story progresses and you gain Elizabeth as an ally the illusion dissolves around you and the story starts to tackle issues of religion, racism and sexism. All while keeping you guessing as to what the hell is really going on.

The one moment that sold the game for me is small, as well as completely optional and hidden away.

[spoiler]It’s in the back of the Graveyard Shift bar in the poor district, you walk down the stairs and Elizabeth spots a guitar then comments that she wishes she could play as it might help to dispel some of the gloom. If you select the guitar Booker starts playing it and after a couple of seconds Elizabeth starts singing Will the Circle be Unbroken? As she sings she see’s a child hiding under the stairs, she picks up an apple and coaxes him out by continuing to sing. The boy grabs the apple, runs back under the stairs and that’s that. In those 40 seconds I was sold on the world and the characters.[/spoiler]

I cannot recommend this game enough, so if your thinking of giving it a go, seriously do.

So many games backed up, it will probably be a while before I get to this. However, I am looking forward to it.

The gameplay itself does get a bit monotonous after a while, and isn’t really anything too special outside of the skyhooks and the vigors, but the story and beautiful visuals does make up for it.

LOVE the Lutece twins.

Infinite is the game to beat for game of the year IMO. The story more than makes up for any gameplay faults and the Lutece twins are awesome! I think I actually like this one more than the first Bioshock. And that ending was fantastic. Best WTF moment ever.