Best DVD/Bluray (or other available) commentaries

If you are on this forum I’m assuming you’ve geeked out on extra content for something you can’t get enough of. Whatever your obsession you’ve most likely gone out of your way to read every morsel of news about it, cosplayed one or more of the characters in it, memorized the lines to it, curated memorabilia from it, had endless discussions about it and gone out of your way to own every version of it available. Usually this type of behavior opens your acceptance to watch all of the extra content out there including listening to commentaries while the content is streaming in the background. In fact, our very own GWC podcast has given us multiple commentary podcasts ranging from Battlestar Galactic episodes to Star Wars. The commentaries themselves range from dull to informative to hilarious and in my opinion are a vast untapped source of entertainment.

To help rectify this and notify each other about good commentaries I opened this thread. Got an entertaining commentary? Post it here. Was it an amazing in depth look revealing many behind the scenes story tidbits? Post it here. Is it so dull you use it to put you to sleep at night? Post it here. Did you laugh so hard it brought you to tears and you peed your pants? Post it here. Hopefully over time this will become a vast resource of fellow GWC commentary reviews we can read if we are in the mood to check one out.

Show us what you’ve got GWCers!

Black Hawk Down soldier commentary is great
Lord of the Rings cast commentaries and Director/Writers
Forgetting Sarah Marshall is pretty funny

The Dodgeball commentary is a work of genius.

Yup. Those Lord of the Rings commentaries are pretty great.

The commentaries on HBO’s Deadwood TV show are pretty great too. Doesn’t hurt that I love the show.

But, even before I even owned an iPod (in 2006?) and before I ever discovered GWC one my great joys was listening Ronald D. Moore’s podcast commentary for Battlestar Galatica.

My BSG night ritual was always …watch the episode…download the RDM podcast…then watch the episode again synched with the podcast that same night. Moore was just so interesting and insightful about his choices, the creative process, about how BSG differs from his “first love” Star Trek which he was a part of in TNG days…etc.etc.

I miss those days and that behind the scenes view BSG almost equally to BSG itself.

Cabin in the Woods
The Avengers
(no, not the John Steed and Emma Peel one…)
Babylon 5 (some with JMS, some with the cast)
Stargate SG1 (some of the ones with the cast are quite interesting and VERY funny)
Transformers the Movie (the animated one from the 80’s)(one of the Commentary tracks is by members of the National Transformers Fan Club, it is fascinating. If you are a Transformers fan… They actually name all of the various corpses lying about the battlefield, and have a lot of insider info on why the movie was made the way it was, the voice actors. Bickering between the Japanese animators and the American ones, just a whole lot of cool info…)
Bruce Campbell vs the Army of Darkness (Sam Rami, Ted Rami. Bruce Campbell, funny and insightful- plus the anniversary edition has the alt ending)
Resident Evil Apocalypse (If you want your vision of Milla shattered listen to her ramble and giggle drunkenly in the commentary, she sounds like such a frakking ‘valley girl’; it was soooo disallusioning… And apparently Sienna and Milla did not get along, all of Sienna’s commentary was recorded separately and spliced in, hers was actually the good commentary. And all Oded would do for the most part was crack jokes so he could hear Milla giggle like an idiot. sheeeeeeez.)
Alien Trilogy set (great stuff)
Most of the Star Trek films have good commentaries
Watchmen Goes in depth about the differences between the comics and the series, why they made the choices they did. The dissection of scenes, music choices. About the actors…
Frailty An amazing if not deeply disturbing film, but I really enjoyed the commentary because it goes into the imagery (which is very important). How the twists are set up, the motivations of the characters and why they make the choices they do. Analyzing of scenes, juicy gossip and about early screenings. Not a film for the weak of heart, or if you have nightmares easily.
Firefly and Serenity OF COURSE!
Sanctuary and BSG commentaries are kind of hit or miss.
Eureka I generally enjoyed, mostly because of the chemistry between the cast members during the recordings.

The Futurama commentaries are fantastic. I regularly watch the entire series with the commentary. Also, the Community commentaries are also very good

I find most of the Game of Thrones commentaries with the cast members very entertaining. And the ones with the crew insightful.