Babylon 5

It’s perfect! Long story arc, but with one-offs that can easily be skipped for time. Intrigue. Mystery. The rise and fall of civilizations! Available on iTunes and Netflix!

I really enjoyed the show but iTunes is $40 a season.

Yeah, someone needs to clue in the networks that if you’re giving us less, you have to charge less.

I think Costco has the boxsets for under $20 each.

Is that specific to one Costco only or is it common to most of them? If it is common to most, I might wander over to check on such.

The first two seasons are available free on Hulu. I think B5 would make a great arc, but there’s just so much content that it’d kind of be hard to cover (5 seasons and 5 movies).

What - can’t you just ignore your life and veg out in front of the tv until the marathon watch is over? :slight_smile:

You could really skip season 1 for the most part.

Babylon 5 is one of my favorite shows ever, but I understand it is a lot to ask of people to watch an entire season. Still, I think it would be a really good rewatch arc, and the first two seasons are free on Hulu. I think a good rewatch would go as follows:

Week 1:
-Midnight on the Firing Line
-Mind War

Week 2:
-Signs and Portents
-Chrysalis

For those who don’t know, those are some of the strongest and most important episodes in season 1, and are all on Hulu. I understand that the show isn’t for everyone and this way the crew would only spend a couple podcasts on it. If its popular they can continue into season 2.

Babyon 5 on Hulu.com

Sacrilege! :slight_smile:

The first season does a lot of setting up for later events. I think it’s also important to see where the characters start out, because all of them change dramatically throughout the series. In fact, some the one-off episodes in the first season are among my favorites of the series.

Yes Yes Yes!

I watched the entire series last summer when my doctor put me on bed rest (pregnancy SUCKS) and have been DYING to talk to somebody else about it (other than my husband).

I find it odd that the GWC crue hasn’t seen B5, but they watched DS9, considering DS9 borrowed heavily from B5.

Actually they have all seen B5 a little bit, but Sean is the only one who is a real fan. They talked about it a little in the podcasts that came out around November or December, I don’t remember exacTly.

This is the only B5 thread I could find, so I’ll post my question here.

I’ve decided to get into this show, what is the recommended viewing order? I heard there are several seasons and movies, where do I start and where do I go from there?

Nobody? Please?

B5 is known for its very tightly scripted arc, so watch the first one first, and the last one last.

Yeah, I heard that before, but do I start with season one or is there any prequel material (those made-for-tv/dvd movies?) that comes chronologically before season one?

That I don’t know, but it’s always safest to view any series in shown order, since they took that into account when doing any prequel stuff. (You could watch Razor after S2, for example, but you might as well watch it in the order shown.)

Okay, I got now. Thanks!

The series has a lot of flashbacks and time travel, so events don’t necessarily occur in order. Personally, I think it’s best to just jump into the first season and watch them in order. Some would recommend skipping Season 1 altogether. It’s somewhat uneven, I’ll grant, but it sets up a lot of plot points that are integral to the later story. If you’re really having trouble getting through the first season, though, just skip it. You won’t miss anything truly vital. Anything major there is rehashed later in the series.

The movies are basically peripheral and can safely be ignored if you so choose. The Gathering is the pilot, and therefore part of Season 1. In the Beginning is a prequel (in flashbacks) for the entire series; watching it before the series would be a good overall primer but would spoil most of the major revelations. Thirdspace happens between the fourth and fifth season. The other movies occur after most of the finale (there are events depicted in the series that occur far in the future, in some cases the distant future).

One warning: the special effects have not aged well. Try not to judge the series on that alone. :slight_smile:

edit: Yeah, what Pike said. Again. :wink:

But it’s a good show, isn’t it? Plotwise, at least? If the story’s good, I’ll overlook crappy effects. I did with STTOS and Space:Above and beyond.