Awesome 80s arc! Princess Bride, Spinal Tap, Remo Williams

In a moment of inspiration it hit me: Awesome 80s arc.

This is a must arc for me. We will attempt to contain the awesomeness that is Princess Bride, Spinal Tap and Remo Williams in arc form.

Thoughts? Additional movies to consider? I am sorely tempted to add Better of Dead to the list.

Who is with me? Show your support by posting regularly in the this thread! Woohoo!

I loved all those John Cusack movies. Better Off Dead, One Crazy Summer, Say Anything of course.

Spinal Tap will never not be funny. And it’s even better if you listen to the audio commentary with McKean, Guest and Shearer in character. Those guys are brilliant!

I think any movies I’d suggest have already been covered (Back to the Future, Last Starfighter). Maybe Flight of the Navigator? Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal? Krull?

some other great movies from the 80’s … IMHO, of course…

in no meaningful order.

Fast times at Ridgemont high

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Coming to America

Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure

Certainly Labyrinth. My current ringtone for my phone calling me is “Magic Dance”.

Back to the Future is awesome, of course, and even now 2015 draws ever-nearer, when poorly-rendered 3D Jaws will try to eat us and the Miami Gators will win the World Series over the hapless Cubs.

Also, Sports Almanacs.

Whaaa~ no Robin Hood Man in Tights? :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry men in tights was 1993 so would be included in a different arch.

One of my favorite non-science fiction movies of all time was made in 1980.

anyone else remember the idolmaker? staring ray sharkey.

//youtu.be/JUOb5C9jJdI

or The Warrors from 1979

//youtu.be/MV4cgs-bPic

or 1981’s classic King of the Mountain with Harry Hamlin and Dennis Hopper.

//youtu.be/xXdci7KN96A

Since I’ve been lobbying for Bill & Ted for a while now, I’ll add my support for this arc with the inclusion of Bill & Ted.

Bladerunner
Time Bandits
Ghostbusters

Not just movies. TV too. Remember Automan, Knight Rider, Manimal, Misfits of Science, Air Wolf, Blue Thunder (Air Wolf rip off), and Street Hawk?

Ok, maybe Manimal is a bad example. d:

I like your choices Solai. Remo. Nigel. Wesley. FTW

Wow, moment of inspiration: We need to add Krull to the list. (thanks Omra)

No. No we don’t. No.

We have to add Sixteen Candles. That is my most favorite 80’s movie.

“Actually I’m not a farmer, I’m just a freshman.”

“I loathe the bus. There has to be a more dignified mode of transportation.”

Bu-bu-but, the Widow of the Web! Ergo the Magnificent! a cyclops! Fire Mares! Liam Neeson! Ken Marshall’s beard (in its last film appearance)!

I must also add E.T. to the awesome 80s arc

The 80’s is just too full of great movies! THe podcast would be 36 hours long!

You might be able to do a salute to 1982, probably the best year of movies ever.

all released in 1982:

48 hours
Annie
BEASTMASTER
BLADE RUNNER
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
CREEPSHOW
THE DARK CRYSTAL
E.T.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
FIREFOX
FIRST BLOOD
Gandhi
An Officer and a Gentleman
Poltergeist
Porky’s
Rocky III (I pity the fool!)
Sophie’s Choice
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
SWAMP THING
THE THING
TRON

thats a pretty good year, havent seen one like it in a while

Wow! What a year. I saw the bulk of those in the theater, too.

OT: The GF has never seen E.T. (so, she’s the one.)

After I saw Poltergeist I could not sleep for a month. I had a stuffed octopus that reminded me of that damned clown with the long arms that tried to strangle the little brother. I still to this day cannot watch that movie.

I had a similar issue, except mine involved the tree. Outside of my bedroom window was a cancer-ridden tree that had a huge appendage which resembled a face. It just so happens that the night my family went to see Poltergeist, there was a thunder storm. Every time the lightning flashed that face profile appeared on my wall.

During the evening I sat with my arms wrapped around my legs and my chin resting on my knees while rocking back and forth. My bedroom was situated on the opposite side of the house from my parents. My sister’s room was right next to theirs. At one point I heard her scream and run into my parent’s bedroom. I stayed in my room wrestling with my fear, while grasping a baseball bat. I remember having a conversation with myself:

“If it’s supernatural, a bat is not going to help.”

“Shut up.”

“In fact, the term super-natural proves that anything you might try to use to defend yourself isn’t going to matter.”

“I said, ‘SHUT UP!’”

“I don’t know why you’re so worried. If anything is coming there’s not a damn thing you can do.”

“UGH! Would you shut up?”