are the droids in star wars slaves?

Weird thought happened; I was thinking during the last cast, about the robots in star wars are they being used as slaves. I see R2 a sentient being yet he has owners who wipe there memory is bought and sold. And no one. thinks to free them.

YES! They are absolutely slaves. The casual ‘wiping of memory’ that Lars orders on them in the first film was my first indication of the casual savagery in this culture.

You know this makes, me dislike anican more so he’s a slave and hates it, so he makes a slave of his own.

This is a serious level up; of douche to everyone in the movies.

It’s like victims of child abuse growing up and beating their kids the same way they were.

Yeah, lots of douchery in the films. Don’t forget that the ‘great Jedi’ seem fine with slavery of biologicals too, per pretty much all of Episode I.

i thought they were the 13th tribe and jedis were the 12 gods of Kobol.

they are definitely workers. Since they refer to humans as ‘owners’ and ‘masters’ I suppose the word slave is also applicable. They seem to be content with their ‘lot in life’ though.

I figure they’re built to want to serve.

What’s better, the Rebellion using robots, who are built with the desire to do work for others; or the Empire using Wookies who were not so gifted?

I hope that’s rhetorical :slight_smile:

That said, they’re intelligent enough that I’d not be able to wipe them like Owen wanted to. I’d be more like Luke and not even want to wipe my X-Wing because it talks to R2 better the longer it goes between wipes.

That said, they’re intelligent enough that I’d not be able to wipe them like Owen wanted to. I’d be more like Luke and not even want to wipe my X-Wing because it talks to R2 better the longer it goes between wipes.

Yeah, but it also means R2 can’t interface with other ships as well as he became more connected to Luke’s X-wing.
Oh yeah, that’s right, I read the later EU books. At least I think that’s what they said.

That is correct.