AOL Friendly?

Hi, gang – Are any other AOL-based GWCers having trouble accessing the redesigned website, let alone the forum? I can get in fine using IE, but I usually surf in AOL. Like the old joke about the doctor and the patient – “It only hurts when I laugh!” / “So don’t laugh” – I suppose I could just avoid using AOL … but I’d like to have the flexibility.

Here is the error message I get when trying to reach the website via AOL:

18d :irc.foonet.com 451 GET :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 Accept: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 Accept-Language: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 X-PageView: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 Accept-Encoding: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 User-Agent: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 Via: :You have not registered 34 :irc.foonet.com 451 Host: :You have not registered

What the Frak?!?!

Thanks for any help you all can give.

Wow. I actually have no idea why you’re seeing that. But I’ll totally admit that AOL wasn’t on our list of browsers to test since none of the three of us have AOL accounts. We tested for IE6PC, IE7PC, FF1.5PC, FF2PC, FF2Mac, and SafariMac. (We actually tested Mobile Safari as well, though not incredibly thoroughly.)

Are these status bar messages or in what is being shown as a page? If they’re in the status bar then your instance of AOL is attempting to make an Internet Relay Chat for unknown reasons. If they’re in the page…you’ve got something riding along in a sort of “man in the middle attack”.

Does that advance the matter for you?

I was getting the irc messages earlier in Firefox at home when I tried to access the blog. Firefox at work was okay though. now that I think of it, at home I am forced to use AOL to log on to the internet. (I insist upon browsing in Firefox though.)
checking now
yep, still getting the irc message. AOL no likee GWC.

It comes up as the page.

I’m getting the same exact error as you. It happened right after the site was updated. Can’t reach the main domain site with IE, Firefox or iTunes. I can only reach the forum domain. I can ping the galacticawatercooler.com domain fine, but my browsers just give me the 18d :irc.foonet.com 451 GET :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 Accept: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 Accept-Language: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 X-PageView: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 Accept-Encoding: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 User-Agent: :You have not registered :irc.foonet.com 451 Via: :You have not registered 34 :irc.foonet.com 451 Host: :You have not registered message.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Could my ISP be blocking it?

I’ve been all around the net looking for a solution, but nobody seems to have any idea.

I can reach it from work on the same laptop, but they block iTunes.

Frustrating.

Any ideas?

I am getting the exact same error over TWC roadrunner in central NC. It looks like the site has something trying to connect to irc.foonet.com when it loads…

i tried this with XP IE and Firefox…

i need my GWC podcast…

the strange thing is I can get to this forum just fine.

Ah! I see the AOL compatability issue has been resolved – whether by AOL or by our friendly GWC crew, I dunno – but cool! :slight_smile: