Anybody else read Fallen Angel?

My instinct says “no”, but it’s doing well enough that someone’s gotta be reading it besides me.

Fallen Angel (warning: TV Tropes link, may be spoilery and may cause intense time-wasteage from link-hopping) is a comic about an angel who got kicked out of heaven and spends her time drinking and fighting crime in Bete Noir, the city that shapes the world. There’s drugs, sex, violence, demons, witches, a bar run by a questionably familiar old German, the reappearance of Supergirl from Peter David’s run at DC (in all but name), a Buffy reference, and lots of pretty dark humor.

Oh, and did I mention that God’s suicidal?

It originally ran over at DC, was dropped before the identity of the Fallen Angel could be confirmed as Linda Lee Danvers, and was picked up by IDW publishing (they also do Transformers, Angel: After the Fall, and a couple of Dresden Files adaptations, among others) with a new backstory. It just finished its first huge arc and will be starting up again in July as “Fallen Angel: Reborn”, featuring Illyria from Angel in a crossover. Oh, and while DC has only released two trades from its run (20 issues in total over there, the trades only comprise about 12 or 14), IDW has trades of all the arcs out and just released an omnibus.

I only started reading it in late '07/early '08, but it’s become an absolute favorite of mine. Lee is such an incredibly kick-ass, rounded character, and the supporting cast is wonderful. Asia Minor, a drug lord and occasional ally of Lee’s, is probably my second-favorite character, followed by Black Mariah, a witch that Lee tortured back in the DC run who ends up a reluctant ally. If you’re looking for kind of a non-traditional hero, or a strong female protagonist, I definitely recommend checking this series out.

I thought you were talking about the Richard Morgan book. Never read this one, but it sounds fascinating.

I really enjoy the book, it’s just annoying that it’s so hard to get in trades, the DC issues need to get repackaged so they can fit with the IDW ones.

My completest nature makes this something that I can never get past. Bloody DC.

YAY SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS WHAT THIS IS! I ended up combing ebay for them last year and found the complete set of the DC run for about 30 bucks plus shipping, it was awesome. I have absolutely no idea why DC is so set against releasing more than two trades of their run, especially considering that they could make easy money off the people who got into the IDW run and would like to see what happened before, instead of having the people in the comic be like, “Oh, remember this?”

I’d imagine that the issue is to do with it being a creator-owned character in a company owned book set in the DC Universe, it’s just too twisted a legal situation to make it financially worthwhile for any of the parties involved, DC, Peter David and IDW.

If DC had just licensed the characters, then it wouldn’t be a problem, the DC Star-Trek books have been reprinted elsewhere, same with Marvels Transformers, GI JOE and Bill And Ted books. I think the best bet would be to track the original issues down and get them nicely bound into a couple of hardback volumes, that’d look great with the official IDW trades.

My understanding is that a new Omnibus is supposed to be out soon…everytime I ask at the local shop they say “not yet” lol…

Isn’t there a third IDW relaunch coming? I haven’t bought all the trades cuz I’m overbudgeted on comics this month. Well, under I mean…but trying to catch up :stuck_out_tongue:

The omnibus has been out for a while now. Hereit is at Amazon!

Yep, in July “Fallen Angel Reborn” is back, with the first arc featuring Illyria from Angel! I can’t wait.

Really? Why is my store lying to me! Thanks for the link! Peter David is awesome, although I will say I’ve had trouble getting into the Sir Appropos comic…

They just might not have gotten an order of it in. I’m not entirely sure how running a comic store works, though I’m at mine often enough that I probably should :stuck_out_tongue: I’d say try reading the book series of Sir Apropos first but the comics are pretty much entirely unconnected other than featuring the same main character being a bastard (literally and figuratively), the same puns, and the same tongue-in-cheeck pop culture stuff.

Yea, these guys are usually on top of it, but thanks for the info. I’m not sure why I’m not getting into it–I do like that kinda stuff usually. Maybe it’s the art… I’ll check out the book…there’s two in the series, right? He has so much stuff out there it’s difficult to keep up

There’s three in the Sir Apropos book series: “Sir Apropos of Nothing,” “The Woad to Wuin,” and “Tong Lashing.” All are hysterical, though the first is still my favorite.

Thanks! I’ll check 'em out.