Any Mecha based anime suggestions?

I’m looking for more anime containing mecha. I’m a big fan of Robotech/Macross, Patlabor, Bubblegum Crisis etc and I’m looking for more stuff with powered armor, robots, tanks, aircraft and the like. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Off the top of my head I can think of only 3 that you didn’t list.
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Big O
RahXephon

I’m sure there are more, but I would recommend these as Ive seen them. Love me some city stompin robots.

I don’t think it is technically anime, but there was a short lived Battletech animated series in the late 90’s.

I’ll try to list these in order of my preferences (priority given to shorter series unless longer series s a must watch)…

Place Promised in Our Early Days
Hoshi no Koe
Memories (1995 movie)
Gundam SEED Stargazer
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu (excellent series)
Saikano
Flag
MS 08th Squadron
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (long series, but an excellent space opera)
Full Metal Panic series (there’s multiple seasons, do not confuse it with FM Alchemist)
Escaflowne (from creator(s) of Gundam, Early Yoko Kanno work)
RahXephon (2nd vote)
Gundam 00 (second season is much better than first, but you have to sit through 1st season to appreciate the 2nd)
Nadesico (parody of sorts, watch after you’ve seen a “bunch” of anime)
Vandread (2 seasons)
Sousei no Aquarion
Gurren Lagann (once you get past the character designs, the story is very good)
Gunbuster 1 and 2 (part 1 is a paroday, get the OAVs first, movies second)
Zegapain (starts slow but picks up around episode 12 or 13)
Bokurano (kind of depressing)
Heroic Age (low priority)

I hope this helps.

Aw I was gonna say 08th MS Team.

Hm. Well it’s power armor not mechs but Blue Gender

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Unless your sane and not suicidal. If you are, it wont change a thing.

I know Evangelion, over-hyped as it is in my beliefs, is popular. But, my opinion is RahXephon is a better Evangelion than Evangelion was.

Still, if you can stomach a whiny, eyesore of a protaganist, watch Evangelion just to know what the fuss is about.

I will say the Evangelion 1.0 movie (the first of three) is better than the series so far. Only 1 of the 3 movies are available in the US so far. It has a few variants named 1.0, 1.10 and 1.11 to my knowledge. The third (3.0) has yet to be released in Japan.

Thanks for the suggestions, It looks like I have a lot of searching to do. :slight_smile:

Gundam 00, One of the best mecha animes recently made.

I prefer the 1st season over the 2nd but on a whole the show is awesome.

Gundam 00

Is being shown on Sciffy late on mondays so you can record it with out any problems, it’s half way through the second season though. So it won’t make a lick of sense, but theirs big robots fighting.

Yeah Fastcart had a badass list. I also recomend Gundam 00 but Gundam Wing was always my favorite. Perhaps cuz it was the first one I saw and perhaps cuz it was the first time I saw gaint (semi-aware) robots piloted by humans in the future that captured the kid in me since Exo-Squad.

Either way it was great stuff.

I would recommend Gundam Wing except the first half of the series is so…cheesy? I watched it with an anime club when it was released. We laughed at moments that were supposed to be completely serious, and the series takes itself too seriously. The heroine had severe mental deficiencies the first half or quarter of the series. “Hero, come kill me…” is a famous quote.

But, the latter half of the series is great, even awesome. But, the first half hurts it overall imo.

Plus, I got sick of Two-Mix music. d:

Edit: Thanks for the vote of confidence on my list btw. Tall Geese is one of my favorite mechs though.

lol, ok the come kill me was pretty funny but you gotta take it in context. Even so, it was a “moment.”

(Doing the chasing amy finger thing.)

Also, everytime Hero proclaimed “I’m going to kill you.” - he never did.

Oh, man. I dunno how long I’d last in a Gundam Wing the drinking game.

I added to my previous post.

Edit: Thanks for the vote of confidence on my list btw. Tall Geese is one of my favorite mechs though.

Oh man, Tall Geese was THE mech in the entire series. It was always my favorite. Even Gundam Zero paled in comparison to Tallgeese’s awesomeness.

Here’s a pic of Tallgeese (It’s the 3rd gen I think)

Yeah 3rd gen from Endless Waltz. It’s soooooooooo frakkin cool.

Epyon heat whip + Beam cannon like Wing has? Rockin. Plus it’s piloted by Char I mean Zechs

I see what you did there. d:

My favorite is Gundam RX-78 GP03 DENDROBIUM from 0083. 0083 was the first Gundam series I saw so… Anyway…

I’m trying to find a Youtube video of a great moment showing this unit in action.

Gundam 0083 [ENG] EP 12 [1/3] HQ
I left a comment below the video so you can fast forward (2:13 to 3:13). One of the great moments in the series. Of course it’s a major spoiler, so if you intend to watch the series, don’t watch the video. Unfortunately, it’s dubbed.

Some favorite quotes.
[spoiler]“They call this a mobile suit?”

(from the subs) “It’s just big that’s all. dies
[/spoiler]
Lol. Great stuff.

Freakin sweetness!!! Nice pull.

I intend to “get” a few of these shows- specificly Gundam. Does it matter which order I watch the different series in, or are they all seperate?