android apps

Okay so crazy thingim gonna try, partly cause I had and interesting idea and partly as an intellectual exercise, I’ve decided to make an Android app. Fun right problem is I have no programming experience. So I did some figuring and bought myself a book on java programing and downloaded some tools both java and Android… and I am about to make my head hurt, so any advise for a complete amature, good reference libraries, words of wisdom. Would be apreciated.

get eclipse, download Android SDK, there are examples in the SDK, or follow the step by step examples given by google online. but by stage 2 of the hello world app i got stuck. so… yeah… might just use the examples in the SDK.

it’s actually not the code that is confusing, it’s where the files should be, and how the androidmanifest xml should look like…

i want to write one too. it should be fun.

There’s a program, I think it’s in beta and you have to sign up and wait, from Google that has sort of a “visual” interface. It’s a little clunky but I was semi impressed with it.

It’s called the App Inventor. I wouldn’t suggest you try to build Angry Birds with it, but it may do the trick depending on what you want to code.

Freaking awesome! I just went through the same exercise w/ the iPhone+App Store. It’s a lot of fun coming up to speed and seeing your code run on the phone. Let us know how it works out, and if my experience here is any indication, there’s a bunch of awesome folks on GWC that’d be willing to help beta test if you need it!

If you have no programming experience, it might be worth checking out some of the multi-platform front-ends like Appcellerator. I don’t have any experience with them, but they look interesting especially as relates to making apps for more than one platform at a time.

(btw, self promotion, my Ziggy iPhone app is still waiting to be reviewed. It’s sitting in the queue at the app store, fingers still crossed!)

i tried it… it’s all java interface, slow and drives me insane…

you can give that a try, but if your goal is to learn how to be able to write all kinds of apps, SDK is probably the way to go.

Nickname Boomer, I wonder if you are still doing this. I’ve been using the Android SDK in Eclipse because I am testing JNI stuff, and I was forced to get a handle on how to use this thing. So… so far, I can at least writing stuff with buttons in it.

So I am wondering if this is still going on.