American Gods audiobook contest

There’s currently a contest running at BookPerk to select someone for a role in the audiobook (play?) of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods. There’s a few hundred entries, but I want to recommend Larry Santoro. He’s an award-winning author in his own right, and a very good narrator. Those of you who listen to StarShipSofa will probably recognize him.

Anyway, head over there and give him a listen. You have to register to vote (pretty quick) but once signed in you can vote every day.

There’s already an American Gods audiobook though…I’ve listened to like half of it

Yes, this is sort of the ‘director’s cut.’ There’s a few thousand more words. It’s tied in to the tenth anniversary of AG.

Also, it sounds like it’s more of an audio play than a traditional audiobook, but I can’t find anything that spells that out.

Oh, Crom, how can it be that I am this old?!

I really dislike books performed as plays. The narrator’s trade off with the various characters is just grating, for some reason. Oddly, I love radio plays. It’s books written as prose but performed as if they were plays, that’s what turns me off.

So I will skip out on this new American Gods audio book and simply reread my paperback copy.

It depends how it’s done. If the book has a strong narrative presence, having the dialog rendered by different people isn’t problematic (and really is no different than what a single narrator does with different voices.)

Just a heads up: voting for the first round ends Monday, May 2. Only the top twenty vote-getters advance.