"Adam Raised a Cain" (ep 2.21) Spoilers

I just finished watching last night’s episode, “Adam Raised a Cain.” I’m speechless that they killed off Derek Reese (Brian Austin Green), just like that. WTF? I mean it makes sense and all…when you’re duking it out with a baddy terminator there’s a high probability that someone will die…I just didn’t think it would happen, or that they’d kill off that character. I’m sad. I liked him, and I think he contributed a lot to their little family group.

They could always send him back again, since we know they’ve changed the future.

I like how they used an Irish song at the end of the show. Irish songs are great because depending on how you sing them the same song can be a happy ballad or a tragic dirge.

Well i’m of two minds of Derek’s death, I just loved how quickly and offhandedly he died against the terminator. It was absolutely perfect but the lack of gravitas from the other characters was disappointing I mean the episode was really… really full of story so I understand but he was a big part of the show. I wish his death had a bigger impact on the other characters. but that might be remedied later on.

but all together one of the best episodes they’ve ever made

Yeah, I guess I’m of two minds about it as well. Bummed, of course, as I said. OTOH I kind of liked the burial scene. Unmarked grave, small box, no ceremony. It is in keeping with the darker side of the whole Terminator 'verse.

I think there will be more emotional fallout from his death, later on, particularly on John’s part. Or maybe part of the point of this development is that it will harden John, temper his leadership skills.

Along the same line as what you said, I like how sudden and unremarkable the death was. I didn’t see it coming at all, and it left me stunned. “Dude, did that just happen?” I like it when TV shows do that to me.

I really, really hope that Fox picks this show up for a third season. I like what they’re doing with the story and the characters, and I’ll be very disappointed if I don’t get to see more narrative development beyond next week’s season finale.

I didn’t read the frak party, and I just finished the ep. Monday night.

HOLY FRAK. I agree with what y’all said.

Maybe his death was just a convention-breaker, but I’m shocked that it happened just. like. that. Which is not unrealistic. But holy geeez, you know?

The show still has some clunky mechanics, but the intangibles are now firing on all cylinders. Next season should – should – be a good 'un.

It always makes me nervous when they thin the cast like that. Because most TV shows simply aren’t good at replacing characters.

And now they don’t have much to work with. The Connors have not been the show’s most compelling characters. To me, at least.

I was conflicted about the end song for a while, but I’ve decided it was a masterful move.

The episode was a real gut-punch that I’m still feeling. That’s good. I’m not necessarily happy about it, but it’s good.

EDIT: PS. Here’s a cool, short interview with Josh Friedman. No spoilers. He briefly discusses the death from last week.

http://io9.com/5202448/josh-friedman-talks-the-philosophy-of-sarah-connor?skyline=true&s=i

having never watched any terminator… i simply must point out this episode title is a little similar to some bsg characters. hm

I loved the way Derek went out,; it suited him as a character (that I will sorely miss). John was barely holding it together for the rest of the ep, and even Sarah was showing some sign of cracking–not that she’d let herself–when she was checking her gun, and talking with Ellison.
Gotta say, I loved the bit where John was like “She has a friend in the basement. With a cord in his neck. AND HE LOOKS LIKE THIS!” Beastwizard!! Yes!