#9 The Many Effects of Diet (Besides Weight/Appearance)

We discuss the many effects of diet beyond simple weight and appearance. We share our experiences with diet change and what it does to us in terms of energy, hydration, feel, attitude, and sleep. We also take on some listener questions, including whether or not it’s’ ok to eat badly on heavy workout days, the value of Gatorade, and where to find motivation when you’ve experienced many setbacks.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Thanks to Chuck and Mitch for taking my calls! I just want to go on the record saying that, with their advice, I am NOT working out like a unicorn. Maybe I haven’t reached work-out-like-a-demon level quite yet, but I’m definitely at the level of an illusionist, at least. Geek brothers and sisters, Mitch knows exactly how to communicate in terms you’ll understand!

UNICORNS!

Wait! You guys tricked me into saying that! I meant Wolverines!

Jus to let you know. I have been trained by and training Special Operations soldiers for eighteen years. When I was an enlisted man, I trained “special PT” as in people that have fallen out of regulations for various reasons ( injury, pregancy, Mass Effect came out). Also I am naturaly 6ft 3 and would be 320 pounds if left to my own genetics and eating habits. I am no longer in the field and am a civilian advisor now and I weigh in at 279. ( that’s almost 60 pounds more than my Iraq weight. 40 poinds more than my standard weight and 114 pounds heavier than my college wrestling weight)

I will tell you this about gatorade. Unless we are on our 2nd hour of intense training in the heat. We cut gatorade 50/50 with water. It is a lot of calories and sodium that you just don’t need for a standard workout.

The bigest benifit to working out, I feel, is simply good cardio in daily life. The effects are haveing stairs and carrying grocerys not kick my ass! lol!. Also…not getting out of brreath and sweating your t-shirt off simply by walking a dog. Whenever my “shape” is slipping…I notice the drop in energy level and how much I sweat from common tasks long before it effects the fit of my clothing. When bending over to pick something up starts hurting…I know that the couple of weeks of SWTOR needs to be replased with some stretching and a few nights of swimming or eliptical. ( I reserve running for the times when i feel that my knees have been bad and need to pe punished!)

Hello Mitch and Chuck. I’m really enjoying the cast. I am a total food dunce and I know my diet is horrible. As mentioned on the cast, the four basic food groups debacle just doesn’t help.

I should make the time to plan meals, etc. To be honest it’s overwhelming. Could you offer up some simple healthy meal choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

For breakfast I enjoy oatmeal and a banana or a fruit/berry smoothie.
Lunch can be grilled chicken and veggies or a turkey breast sandwich on whole wheat/rye
Dinner veggies and edamame (for protien), also a chicken breast and veggies or stir fry.

All are easy to make and taste good.

WooHoo!! Mitch’s first post! Achievement unlocked. Power up.

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the response. Love the 'cast. It’s inspirational and informative. I’m not a full-blooded Wolverine yet. I’m still a tubby bunny but I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard.

I’ve always been fortunate that all the exercise I like to do cancels out eating whatever suits my fancy. But, ya know, I’m 40 now and that probably won’t last forever. Plus, with Chuck and Mitch talking about working out for nothing when you eat crap has got me wondering how much stronger and faster I could be if I actually paid attention to my diet. I’ve started looking at the labels of what I routinely eat, and it’s interesting to say the least. I’m probably a long way from food logging (if ever), but you guys made me look where I never thought to look.