9/2010 Winner: Octavia Butler, Kindred

If you haven’t read this yet, it’s an absolute gem.

From wikipedia:

The novel tells the story of Edana (Dana) Franklin, an African American woman living in 1976 Los Angeles who, on her twenty-sixth birthday, begins the first of six involuntary journeys back in time to Maryland’s Eastern Shore in the antebellum South.

The first time I read it, it reminded me a lot of Toni Morrison’s Beloved, also an excellent novel (for those that may not have read it).

Bumped for awesomeness.

First Butler book I read, and still probably the best.

bumping again… because I love the book and would love to read it with the rest of you!

I’ve not read Kindred, but Fledgling was very good! I’ll have to check this out.

Oh yeah, this is a classic. Double plus seconded again.

The Book Club selection for September and October is Octavia Butler’s Kindred (1979)!

I lost an arm on my last trip home. My left arm.

And I lost about a year of my life and much of the comfort and security I had not valued until it was gone. When the police released Kevin, he came to the hospital and stayed with me so that I would know I hadn’t lost him too.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Much to my delight (not that I haven’t enjoyed other selections, but this one is super awesome!), Kindred has been selected the September/October 2010 Book Club novel! Check out the discussion here!

FYI, there’s an audio version available on Audible and I listened to it last fall. I thought it was fantastic, both in content and narration.

Great to hear! That’s my next download- can’t wait!

I’ve just gotten a copy from the library again, and I’m reminded, as I was earlier this summer, that this is not a book I can just read before going to bed. The descriptions of the things that happen to Dana are really horrifying (as they should be, given the time period they are supposed to be representing) but it definitely makes this a book I have to set time aside during the day to read, and to give myself thinking space.

Anyways, I just wanted to put that out there. :slight_smile:

I am about 3/4 of the way through the audio version.

If it was print, I wouldn’t be able to put it down.

I am currently upset and disgusted with Dana and Kevin, though I can understand the whys of the situations.

Powerfully written.

I wanted to own this, so I went to the local Borders. Not there. FAIL.

Anywho, I did pick up ‘Necromancer’ WooT! Read the first chapter while my daughters rummaged through Claire’s with my wife.

Going to try the Barnes and Noble tomorrow.

I read this earlier this year on Casilda’s recommendation. Very good, though parts of it were tough to read.

that’s the thing with Kindred - it’s not an easy book. But I’ve always found that I benefit from reading it.

Kind of like how BSG was not an easy series… but we all loved it for that, amirite? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, not an easy book. But nothing worthwhile is easy.

Definitely not an easy book. Riveting. Blew right through it.

I can’t imagine how I would handle such situations.

I figured the ending would come about as it did- the connection was too strong not to.

So refreshing that it was written in 1979 and took place in 1976. I love the low-tech way Dana and Kevin had to do the research.

Can you imagine such a tale set in today’s technology? wow.

I wonder if anyone is interested in a skype discussion on this?

kitteh! I’m glad you enjoyed (if that’s the right word) Kindred! I’d totally be up for a skype chat, though I’d want to get a copy from the library again were we to do it :slight_smile: who else is in?

I can probably pull one off next weekend- this one is packed. Although, I may be able to do one Sunday morning? Don’t know yet. I’ll keep checking in to see if anyone is available and when.

This book really got me.

kitteh, I’ve got a lot of business in the next few weeks, too, but I’m sure we’ll find a time.

I finished my re-read - you mentioned being frustrated with Dana and Kevin’s choices? Which ones? In what way?

I really enjoy Alice’s character, and what happens to her in the end is just heart-breaking. I also want to strangle the entire Weylin family… product of their time, but those attitudes are still present today! Ugh.

I also love that the story is science fiction, in that it depends on time travel, but that the focus isn’t on the tech itself but rather on the human stories (and history! I love history).

I’m am definitely up for a Skype chat, just let me know where and when.

I’m a huge Octavia Butler fan, and this is the first book of hers that I read. I’ve got a lot of thougts about Kindred but I’ll wait until I’m finished with the re-read. I will say that the thing that hooked me about Butler’s stories is that they don’t feel like “stories.”

The emotions of the characters felt disturbingly real; there’s not one moment in the book that feels like there’s going to be a white knight riding to the rescue. It’s just ordinary people in a horrible situation who are dealing with it the best way they know how.