9/12: Margaret Atwood, "The Handmaid's Tale"

On Google books.

A classic of dystopian fiction, made into a not-so-great (in my opinion) film.

I have to admit, Atwood is one of my favorite fiction writers, period

Casilda, I completely agree about the film. What material, too!!

The Handmaid’s Tale is one of my all-time favorite books, and I worship at the Alter of Atwood. I have since college. She came to SLC and I was able to attend her reading of Oryx & Crake. Wonderful!!

I read this a long time ago, and liked it, but I also found it deeply disturbing. But it did make me think.

I picked it up after skimming the Google Books link.

Me: “Well, I finished it.”
Husband: “What’d you think?”
Me: “It made me want to cry.”
Husband: “Yeah, I heard it does that.”

That said, I loved the hell out of it. Dystopian books really do something for me, I dunno.

I had the same reaction when I read it the first time.

(not to get too political, but I read it during the W administration so it was even more depressing than it would have been if I read it, say, now.)

Heh. I’d argue that things still ain’t so great now, but we’re only a few months out. I had to put it down at a couple of parts, namely any point where the gist of the Aunts’ talk is “We’re reducing your freedoms to make you free!” and go do something else to avoid becoming enraged and mopey.

But I cleansed my palate with a happy, happy Star Wars novel yesterday (okay, not so happy; my favorite character’s family is all insane and in jail) so I’m better now!

I’m very pleased to announce that the Book Club selection for September and October is The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood!

There is more than one kind of freedom… Freedom to and freedom from. In the days of anarchy, it was freedom to. Now you are being given freedom from. Don’t underrate it.

SPOILERS AHEAD

And much to my own personal delight, The Handmaid’s Tale is the September/October 2012 Book Club Selection! Check out the discussion thread here.

I love this book. It is horrifying, but I love it. Sadly I haven’t gotten a chance to re-read since it’s been the selection but I’m hoping to do so soon. Anyone, thoughts?

I finished it last week.

As a disclaimer I do have to say as a Canadian high school student I was forced to read Margaret’s “Edible Woman” for English class. Toting that thing around in my hockey bag was slightly embarrassing to say the least. So I disliked her books due to the coercive nature of my introduction.

Later on I saw the “Handmaids” movie and thought it kind of a flat affair. It was billed as a scifi flick, but not really in my definition. More 1984-ish.

My recent read of this book was good if not bleak and depressing. In hindsight I can see the times that it was written in ( early 80’s and the PTL televangelist scandal ) may have helped in forming the narrative. My only critic of the book is the epilogue. It seemed almost tacked on. Like a “happily ever after” ending for what up until that is “dark as dark can be”. Don’t get me wrong, I likes me a happy ending (pun) but that thing would have been “metal dark” without the epilogue.

/shrug your mileage may vary.

OB

P.S. This book coupled with my 4 season marathon watch of “Fringe” has some dark clouds in my psyche. I think I’ll spool up some “Rockford Files” instant watch. Theme songalone gets me smiling :slight_smile: