78 BSG in the New BSG

I just wanted to start a thread to compare somethings that came from the 78 BSG. For example:

Pegasus then and now.

78: The Pegasus idea was left open by having the possibility of it jumping right after blowing up the two BaseStars.

Now: Pegasus comes to close with Prequel in the works.

I like both. I love how the Pegasus goes out in a blaze of glory (understatement) but I loved the mystery of the 78 Pegasus still being out there fighting the good fight.

So I just want to see if anyone want to talk about that and what they would still like to see from the 78 BSG in this last season.

Good idea for a thread. RDM did indeed do his homework before reinventing the show.

As I’ve noted before, BSG:80, for all its faults, gave us the first human-looking Cylons. There are enough parallels to the ‘modern’ Cylons that I think it’s fair to say that they inspired them.

Also Galactica 1980 gave us the Return of Starbuck. I remember watching this episode as a kid and saying to myself why couldn’t Starbuck jimmyrig the raider to get off the planet. Then when they did it with the new series and I saw the raider on the planet with Starbuck I knew she was going to do it this time.

Also in the 78 BSG Starbuck and Apollo took a Raider onto a BaseStar and lost their transmitter to tell the vipers they were friendly. They had to wiggle there wings to id themselves.

They brought that in when StarBuck did a waggle with Apollo after she flipped the raider over to id herself.

Ronald does a great job giving a little wink here and there.

That is the beautiful thing…people don’t realize how much respect RDM has for the original show. He accepts and talks about the flaws openly, but remember, he took the concept and pushed it forward. He has always loved what it was, and was a fan.

When I first saw that episode, the first thing that poped in my head was Boomer yelling “They’re waggling!”

Yeah. It’s actually quite remarkable, given that the TOS fans (including Richard Hatch!) gave him such a hard time early on. As much as I’ve dissed TOS BSG over the years, I do love the fact that he payed attention to it, as anybody doing a remake should. (I’m looking at you, JJ Abrams)

78 BSG in the pilot episode Starbuck & Apollo had to lead the fleet blind through a red passage in space to make it to a planet on the other side.

Also when they make it to the planet, they get comfortable and then the Cylons attack

New BSG in the episode Passage similar flying blind to get the fleet through. This episode is one of my favorites.

New BSG New Caprica the people get comfortable and the Cylons invade

BSG 78: Tomb with the map revealed by some weird light effect on Adama’s medalion. Map is a stone slab with a poem that is supposed to point the way to Earth (crumbles after Cylon attack).

New BSG: Arrow of Apollo opens map in Tomb of Athena. Reveals a star map that incorporates the zodiac and Colonial mythos, and actually points them to Earth in an astronomically meaningful way.

I guess it is too late but I always wish they would bring Dirk Bendict in to play StarBuck’s Father Chameleon. Even if they did a flash back to him just playing the piano would be awesome.

<As suggested, cross posted from the Razor thread…>

I mentioned this in my podcast but thought I’d mention it here as well.

Here’s another subtle nod to the original series, on Adama’s helmet. The original series helmet (inset) had the hawk-like design on the front, and Adama’s insignia seems to be derived directly from that.

Original Cylon in last nights flashback. I loved the cylon point of view shots when Adama hits him. Great tie in with the mini series Adama beating the frak out of a toaster.