6.13 - The Last Recruit

No thread yet? There was a lot going on this episode (I thought). Here are a few points…

How did James and Miles track Sayid down so fast? After the shooting, the police had to be notified that a shooting had taken place (presumably they learned from Jin), get to the restaurant, find the surveillance camera footage, identify Sayid as a suspect, figure out who he was and where he was staying then get there themselves. They did all this in about the same time it took Sayid to get to Nadia’s house from the restaurant. Why did it take Sayid so long? Where was he? (Or is this one of those things we shouldn’t think about too much.)

“Locke” dumped a lot of information talking to Jack. Some of it answers a lot of questions that have been floating around but some of it doesn’t make sense and some is a bit contradictory.

First, “Locke” claims it was he who took the form of Christian Shepherd since way back in the episode White Rabbit in the first season. He also says that Locke’s body had to be on the Island before he could take his form so apparently Christian Shepherd’s body was on the Island as well. (There had been some speculation as to if it had ever even been loaded on the plane.)

What about the other visitations people have experienced on the Island? Mr. Eko saw his brother, who was of course dead in the smugglers plane. Richard saw his dead wife but her body wasn’t on the Island. Who was he seeing? And what about Walt? He was seen several times and he is alive and well in New York. For that matter, what about when Michael saw Christian Shepherd on the freighter? “Locke” has said he can’t cross water (except by boat) so how did he get out to the freighter?

Then there was Hurley’s imaginary friend Dave. Was that just a hallucination of Hurley’s or was he a manifestation of something? I won’t even speculate about Kate’s horse.

If Smokey was manifesting as Christian Shepherd then it was he who manipulated Locke into killing himself (or into being killed by Ben as it was). When Locke was shot at the smuggler’s plane and given first aid by Richard, he was told by Richard that he would have to die to bring the others back to the Island. Richard said this because he was told by “Locke” to tell him that.

Later, Locke falls down the well to the donkey wheel and encounters “Christian Shepherd”. “Shepherd” tells him how to turn the wheel to stop the Island’s shifts through time but again says that Locke has to die to bring the others back. So, Smokey (in one form or another) has been manipulating Locke all along.

When Locke went with Ben to Jacob’s cabin Locke heard someone say “Help me”. Was that Jacob or Smokey? Later, when Ben has left Locke for dead he sees Walt. Again, was this Smokey impersonating Walt (unlikely since he stated earlier that a body had to be available in order to assume that form). So, who was Walt in this case?

Another thing to point out is that “Locke” first tells Jack that Locke was stupid because he thought he was on the Island for a reason then tells Jack that he was on the Island because he had been chosen by Jacob.

So Jack is on the Island for a reason. Which means, since Locke was also chosen by Jacob, that he was on the Island for a reason. So “Locke” is lying. (Yeah, I know. Big surprise.) Just like Smokey manipulated Locke into killing himself it seems he is manipulating Jack here. What is he up to?

That’s a lot of answers, speculation and mystery for such a short conversation.

Why didn’t “Locke” kill Desmond himself? It seems that is is only the Candidates that he is somehow prevented from killing; he certainly killed a number of people at the Temple. Desmond doesn’t seem to be a Candidate so why didn’t he stab him before pushing him down the well? (Or simply turn into Smokey and tear him apart?) Is there something about Desmond that prevents “Locke” from acting directly against him? Is Desmond special in some way? And does Desmond know this; is that why he was so unafraid of “Locke”?

Jack’s comments about them having a purpose on the Island is exactly what “Locke” said of Locke’s feelings and he said that Locke was stupid for it. The comment about the Island not being done with them has now been said by several people.

Note that Jack has now gone from being the man of science to being the man of faith; Locke’s old position. Sawyer even tells him to take a “leap of faith”.

My full recap/analysis - http://www.14kofginafpd.com/details.php?id=278

Hells yeah a lot went on!

Here are a few points…

1. This episode as a whole felt a bit rushed with all the characters being brought together, which I guess can be explained under the broad umbrella that there is a kind of fate/destiny going on here.

2. I think he’s manipulating Jack. It’s just a gut feeling. There’s something else going on with “Christian” than just getting checked off the list of answers like that.

3. Vozzek69 was speculating in his blog that Desmond was a candidate and is actually acting as a replacement for Jacob as he’s nudging people along in the alt time line. I’m not sure I buy it, but it’s an interesting theory.

4. The man of science/ man of faith is at the heart of LOST and I’m looking forward to see how it plays out. The scene with Jack and Sayer was great because “Jack’s leap of faith” mirrors Sawyers jump from the helicopter, the very thing he was just telling Sawyer was a mistake (i.e. leaving the island). and of course Kate: “We have to go back” mirrors Jack at the end of season three.

Yeah, I commented on the parallel between Sawyer jumping from the helicopter at the end of season 4 and Jack’s jump here in my blog. I’ll also point out that when Jack waded ashore “Locke” said “Nice day for a swim” which was what Sawyer said to Juliet when he waded ashore then.

Well they had the video at the police station so…Sayid must have stopped somewhere before going home?

Well they had the video at the police station so…Sayid must have stopped somewhere before going home?

L.A. traffic, gets you every time.

Good episode overall. Not quite the climatic finish I think a lot of us were hoping for, but I do believe we will get that eventually. Count me for thinking that Fake-Locke was NOT Christian Shepard.

Well, not always Christian Shephard anyway. That was probably him who convinced Claire to go with him at the end of season 4 at the very least. But it could not have been him who talked to Michael on the freighter since, as I said, “Locke” clearly said he couldn’t cross water without a boat.

And we also had Christian’s visit to the hospital in Jack’s Flash-Forward at the end of Season 4.

I’m also not fully convinced that Christian was MIB in all instances.

These are all very good questions!

Did he say he couldn’t cross water or did he just imply he couldn’t go to Hydra Island in his smokey guise? I was thinking maybe he can cross water but it he can’t exceed a certain radius of the island. Maybe Hydra Island is outside that radius and the freighter was inside it. I need to rewatch that freighter thing because I don’t remember it.
Or maybe FLocke is just lying.

When “Locke” and Sawyer were getting ready to go over to the Hydra island Sawyer said something like “why don’t you just turn into smoke and fly over there”. “Locke” replied something like “If I could do that do you think I would still be here?”

Apparently Smokey can’t exactly fly; notice it can’t fly “over” the sonic fences. TPTB have hinted that at least some part of it has to remain in contact with the ground at all times.

The freighter was much further away than the Hydra island. IIRC the freighter was like 20 miles off shore.

Have we ever seen the back of it? The two times I can think when we might of are the temple fight and the mercenary attack of new-otherton.

Also, I am darned sure that at some point we’ve seen multiple little smokies running about and then joining up? How does Locke do that? What if he’s lying about being the black smoke?

I assume that the “Smoky-cam” when he approached New Otherton and went back to cut up Richard from the tree after transforming into Flocke, proved that he didn’t lie about this.