6.10 - The Package

Well, there were a couple of unexpected things last night.

Everyone who said it was Desmond in the locked room, help yourself to a cookie.

So Widmore is on Team Jacob? He seems to think that “Locke” is evil, so…

OK, so “Locke” says that everyone who’s name isn’t crossed off in the cave has to leave with him if anyone is to leave. Claire asks about her name and he tells her that he still needs her. She then asks about Kate and he says that he needs her too but, once they are off, “what happens, happens”.

But wait… Kate’s name isn’t marked off on the Lighthouse wheel. I still think that everyone seems to be forgetting Kate and that she is going to wind up key to what happens.

Smokey can’t cross water. That’s… interesting to know, I suppose.

Zoe is a geophysicist? Why is Widmore still interested in geophysical anomalies?

So Jin and Sun aren’t married in the betaverse? But they’re in love with each other and Sun wasn’t planning on leaving him (so she really doesn’t speak English). And we know why there is $25k involved this time that wasn’t there last time. I assume she will get taken to Jack’s hospital.

((In a semi-unrelated note, I saw that Yunjin Kim got married this past week to her manager. I’m heartbroken. :frowning: ))

And that’s all I’ve got off the top of my head. I’ll get my full analysis later. What did y’all think?

I’m really hoping that we’re going to finally get an answer about the electromagnetism (that powers the Swan, the well/Orchid, and the time flashes) and how it ties back to the Jacob/MIB conflict. Plus, I really want to see something tying Dharma’s use of the numbers with Jacob/MIB’s use of the numbers. With Faraday dead, I have a feeling another physicist is who we’ll need to get some answers.

Electromagnetism is often aliens. I’m sure there’s a theory that the Island is a UFO or alien-tech or sumthin’?

Something just occurred to me about last week’s episode but, since it is relevant to the series as a whole I am posting it here.

In the episode Sundown, Dogen gives Sayid instructions as to how to kill “Locke”, giving him a dagger and telling him he must strike before “Locke” can speak. The Man in Black gives Richard the same instructions in Ab Aeterno when he tries to get him to kill Jacob.

But, back in Sundown, “Locke” tells Sayid that this is the second time “he” has tried to kill him this way.

If that was the second time, was this the first time? If so, then the being that was Jacob then is “Locke” now and the being calling itself Jacob now was the Man in Black then.

But does this make sense? “Locke” is saying that he wants to leave the Island, the same thing the Man in Black was saying. And Jacob has always said he needs to keep “Locke”/The Man in Black from leaving. That seems consistent.

Maybe there is another way of looking at it. Maybe everyone is telling the truth but leaving out certain details. Try this…

Suppose that instead of Jacob keeping the Man in Black trapped on the Island that the Man in Black is keeping Jacob there. Let’s call the Man in Black the “Jailer” and Jacob the “Prisoner”. The Island of course is the “Prison”.

The Jailer has to keep the Prisoner in the Prison but isn’t allowed to kill him. (It’s a life sentence, not an execution.) Now, the Jailer can’t leave no matter how much he wants to; he has to stay there and keep the Prisoner confined. However, if the Prisoner were to happen to die (or if someone else kills him) then the Jailor would be free to leave.

Of course, if the Prisoner has followers who could continue his crimes (or whatever he did that caused him to become a prisoner) then the Jailer would have to remain until they were either “accidentally” killed or driven away. So the Jailer is still required to remain at the Prison while there are still followers of the Prisoner around.

If we add in the idea that the Jailer is worried about the Prisoner because the Prisoner is very persuasive and all people are corruptible then we have a situation that pretty much matches exactly what we have been told about the situation between Jacob, the Man in Black and the Island; with the exception of the fact that the roles are reversed from what we thought they were.

Ideas anyone?

So what you are saying is - Ben is working with Glory? :smiley:

But seriously - so you are saying that Jacob is the “bad” one and the man in black is the “good” one - and over the years MIB has grown tired of his job as jailer (MIB) and wants to leave but can’t unless the prisoner (jacob) is dead. Maybe - it’s possible. But that would mean that the jailer somehow stole Jacob’s body and Jacob took Lock’s body right?

I totally agree that we can’t be sure about either of their intentions. I don’t think Jacob was the prisoner because we have seen him off island with the losties and we know one of the candidates are suppose to replace him. I can’t see a prisoner needing to be replaced.

Anybody else giggle when Jin was asking Mr. Windmore about his package? snicker

Badger and I named it. I said, “The Black Rock” Badger said, “The Constant”

Better than “The Swan”.
(And he has an actual submarine so that would be confusing.)

As for Dharma stations, you gotta go with “The Staff”.

The biggest mystery in this episode for me is:
Why would ABC leave the red “V” on screen for the entire episode. Those little promos are annoying enough a few seconds after the commercial breaks. Yeah, I wasn’t going to watch “V” tonight but since you had a “V” up there for the whole f*@#!ng show, I think I’ll give it a go. WTF. I actually have to go to the transcripts just to see what Sun Wrote down.

Also, did you guys here Keamy mention the island to Jin? I played it back several times and it sounds like “I’m gonna have to sprap you in, I don’t want you freaking out when you find out what we did to the island”.
Keamy may know about the island from Widmore or Naomi, but Jin just flew over an island that he supposedly had never been to. Did I hear that wrong?

I haven’t kept up on reading all of this season’s posts/threads. Question- what will happen to the Betaverse when the real timeline comes to a conclusion? Will the survivors get a choice of when they want to be? I’ve been thinking about that.

As for the jailor/prisoner thing- we’ve seen Jacob off the island (Richard too) so how does that fit into things?

Crazy show makes my mind melt, but I love it.

when Jack asks why she didn’t go with Locke she writes “I don’t trust him”.

and according to Lostpedia Keamy says:
“I’m gonna strap you in here, just in case you figure out what’s about to happen to you and I can’t have you freaking out.”

There was a flash-forward episode where Jack was at the hospital late one night and heard the smoke alarm go off. When he ran out into the lobby, he found his dad waiting for him there. It seems like by now it’s been determined that all the appearances of Christian Shepherd were the smoke monster, and the extra clue of the smoke alarm going off would seem to confirm that.

So has the Man in Black been able to appear off-Island too?

I really enjoyed seeing Sun and Jin back in action in this episode, even if they STILL didn’t get back together. I was almost worried that the show had forgotten about them. I cheered when Sun took off running from Locke–it was good to see someone telling him no so decisively.

According to Lostpedia, the exact line is “I’m gonna strap you in here, just in case you figure out what’s about to happen to you; I can’t have you freaking out.” Meaning he wants a sitting target when he comes to kill him.

I don’t remember that. That’s very interesting.

I love your line of thinking! That would be awesome! But like some others have said, we’ve seen Jacob off the island acting in a very “Jacob” way so I think we can be sure it’s him. Plus, nobody so far has said it would be disastrous for Jacob to get off the island, only the MIB/Locke. But I think you’re certainly right that all is not what it appears.

Yes, I’ve had this thought as well. I love scifi (obviously!) but I don’t want to see an alien connection on LOST.
I believe the term “exotic matter” has been brought up before describing these pockets of anomalies. I think that such material would have to come down from space. And now that we know that the island is a cork on a bottle of evil, we can relate the mythology and the MIB directly to this “exotic matter” underground.

So will this make the MIB some kind of alien that crashed along with his ship?..a technological explanation for the story of Lucifer being cast out of Heaven?
Perhaps a meteor came down carrying this matter and the stuff opened a doorway letting MIB through but trapping him at the same time?
And why would MIB want to destroy humanity completely? Widmore said if he gets off everyone will cease to exist. Don’t archvillains usually just want to brainwash, conquer and enslave the world?

And why would MIB want to destroy humanity completely? Widmore said if he gets off everyone will cease to exist. Don’t archvillains usually just want to brainwash, conquer and enslave the world?

You are assuming that he wants to leave to destroy humanity. It might be that he wants to leave, and destroying humanity is the side effect.

As for Dharma stations, you gotta go with “The Staff”.

D’oh! Forgot about that one. :slight_smile:

Well, this could be lost tech. hehe. Lost tech. Where was I? Oh yeah, Could be Atlantis type stuff lost when Atlantis went missing. Or maybe Smokey/Jacob destroyed the Library at Alexandria.

I believe it was, Smokey said to Jacob that he’d have to kill him at some point. Now, Smokey-Locke needs all the candidates remaining to join him so as to leave the island. The candidates are to be narrowed until there is one left (we assume one) to keep the cork in the bottle. If Smokey-Locke has some series of things needed for his escape he must achieve, must not there be a cork? Also, as people say throughout the show, “The Island is not through with you, yet!” Might not the Island have a say as to what happens next?

I forgot about that! MIB is explicitly trapped on the island and has been for a long time, so that scene is either 1) a huge continuity error or 2) that was not smokey. I’m guessing the latter. That’s a clever head fake. The alarm was not actually detecting smoke but making those beeps indicating that the batteries need to be changed.
The question now is: Who is Christian Shephard? I assumed he was smokey, but I thought it was odd when he genuinely wanted Locke to say hello to his son. Hmmm. I hope it won’t be long till we find out.
As for him crossing water (smooooke on the waaaater) he could have hopped on many ships that came to the island. I think his boundaries have more to do with Desmond’s “snow globe”.

Not exactly. There’s an “and” in there, an “and” that is pronounced “island”. His speech pattern is a little mumbley, but I’m filing it under “Might be significant, but probably not”.

My favorite alternate “The Package” title is “The Constant”, although eventually you’d have to consult your doctor. :slight_smile:

Of course you bring the alien angle to the table. That’s very “Gorn-curious” of you. :slight_smile:
Actually, if this whole thing is the Metrons conducting a social experiment…I’d be okay with that.

I wonder if Chuckie intends to sink the island. That exotic matter is what??? The cork keeping eeviilll from getting out like god’s screw cap. But now, apparently, any ole swinging fleshbag can effectively kill Jacob if smokey convinces them that they’re a petulant teenage girl with daddy issues. So I guess sink the damn island and eliminate the visitor factor?

Strange days lie ahead.