#53: Travel Apps, an Awesome Tech Backpack, and Twist

In honor of Juan’s upcoming trip, we take a look at one of the coolest tech backpacks we’ve seen: the North Face Surge II, which features tons of pockets, dedicated laptop and tablet storage, and a build worthy of a K2 expedition. We review two awesome travel apps: FlightTrack PRO, which provides flight tracking and status (including push updates, terminal info, and weather forecasts), and TripDeck, which stores your critical trip info, like flight/rental car/hotel confirmations and reservations. Both integrate seamlessly with the TripIt service, which automatically parses forwarded confirmation emails for the information you want to store. Also, Chuck reviews the Twist app — a cool way of keeping people updated on your pending arrival time when driving.

Direct Download
Blog Post

I’m not sure if this is the case with the Surge II, but for big camping backpacks, the waist belt is what is really supposed to hold the weight while the shoulder straps are for balance and holding the bag in place. Your waist is used to carrying a lot more weight than your shoulders are, so it’s less painful while (for example) carrying supplies in to a campsite. I’d say that carrying the podcast rig all day would probably qualify as a case to consider that for as well.

I also have a North Face waistpack that I use on campouts with my Boy Scout troop as well (for day hikes or walking around at summer camp)

For a backpack I use a Lowepro Trekker. but that is more a camera backpack with a spot for a laptop.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/08/the-coolpix-s800-will-be-the-first-android-based-camera-from-nikon.aspx/

Re: Travel apps, don’t forget apps that help with time travel like http://ziggy.hallert.net/. Bonus, I hear its author is very handsome.

I enjoyed the backpack review, I’ve been on the lookout for a replacement for the North Face Electron I’ve been using as a bike commuting pack for a few years. It’s hard, because I live and die by the backpack so I have to be super picky. Plus, I’m used to the Electron, so it adds change to the mix and people hate change.