5/2013: Hannu Rajaniemi, "The Quantum Thief"

I nominate Hannu Rajaniemi’s first novel, The Quantum Thief, for consideration for the book club. :slight_smile:

I’m very pleased to announce that the Book Club selection for May and June is The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi!

Prisons are like airports used to be on Earth. No one wants to be there. No one really lives there. We’re just passing through.

SPOILERS AHEAD

And we have a winner!

I didn’t get to this one until last weekend but I ended up enjoying it. It was a bit of a slow start for me but about halfway through I couldn’t put it down. I’ve picked up the next book, The Fractal Prince, and have started that, too. I forget where but I somewhere I read about a critic complaining about the “show not tell” technique, especially as regards the way physics works in the novel. But I was OK being confused at the start - the more I think about it the more I think that my confusion works well with the content - the thief, the detective, being posthuman, all of the different players and the way physics is different from what we know now. Anyone else have thoughts having read the book?

Just finished The Fractal Prince and wow. Really liked it! I’d say it’s even better than The Quantum Thief, though you’d have to have read Quantum first to have any sense of things in the 2nd book. This is supposed to be a trilogy and I’m very excited for the 3rd volume! There’s lots to chew on in the universe Rajaniemi’s created :slight_smile: