#41: The Most Popular Android Tablet

We discuss the Kindle Fire, the fact that it’s the best selling Android tablet by far, and what this means for the non-iOS tablet market. We add our thoughts to Woz’s recent evaluation of the Windows phone. We discuss Firefox’ move to automated updates and how it’s time for business apps to build to standards instead of browsers. And we ponder the news of Oracle’s decision to provide direct OS X Java updates. Will it mean better or worse updates going forward?

Direct Download
Blog Post

enjoy the pod sounds :slight_smile:

Regarding the Kindle Fire I’ve had one since X-mas and have the following take on it.

(1) I have never purchased anything from Amazon using it
(which is odd given the large “smirking cardboard box pile” in our garage awaiting recycling.
(2) Usage breaks down to Netflix, Hulu+, Youtube accounting for 80% of time
(3) Remainder is web browse and email

I do enjoy pulling up recipe walk through youtube videos while cooking in the kitchen or on the grill.

Another good use is “download” some vids from youtube and carry with us for our daughter’s “terrible two’s” moments while out and about.
(When we’re home or near wifi connect, bringing up “Backyardigans” or “Curious George” is the go to move )

Where it falls down is “downloading files” and loading and playing music. Cluncky and very touchy. Maybe a better app will come along, but right now it is awkward. Also the picture and video gallery is grumble inducing.

For under $200 it hits a sweet spot from a cost/functionality point of view.

Your mileage may vary.

OB