#39: Compound Exercises, Data Collection

We take a look at compound exercises and how they fit into the workout routine as well as discuss some of our recent data collection experiences.

Direct Download
Blog Post

I had a major “D’OH” moment listening to this podcast this past weekend. While still recovering from my planar faciitis brought on in mid-November by walking too darn far at the start of my workout program I managed to injure my shoulder/neck/back last Thursday (or maybe even last Tuesday). However, unlike the discussed compound exercises my injury was most likely brought on most likely by bad form with free weights/dumbbells at home instead of sticking to machines at the gym. It could have been due to too much weight before I was ready too but I had been careful about it so the only thing I can think of is that my form was bad on a lift. I can’t even pinpoint to which one since I didn’t notice it until I was incredibly sore and stiff the next morning.

So my plan is that once this heals enough up to where I can lift again I will back down on the weights and focus on my form. In the meantime being not able to lift sucks. I might try some yoga but definitely don’t want to hurt myself any further and keep myself out of the gym any longer than I need to be.

~

Form before Ego :).

I know what you mean, it’s always better to be tight on form, as bad form will limit your gains.

I hope you recover.

Shooter sorry to hear about the injury. As long as it is not a serious injury it will be a good lesson/reminder about how important it is to keep good form. Most of your muscle growth comes from the eccentric/lowering motion (think negatives) on a “lift”, not the concentric. If you keep this in mind it is much easier to focus on good form and still be confident you are developing the strength you want. Hope you heal well.