#357: Sean Gets to be Debbie, No Death Star for U.S.

This week as we re-ignite the Disney princess discussion, Sean reaffirms the impracticality of staving off the tidal wave of pink and weighs in on the fun of wearing a sparkly headband while playing backup for a three-year-old rock star. And, we run down the Week in Geek, get a glimpse of the new FX drama The Americans, in which married KGB spies pose as suburban Americans in early-80′s Washington, D.C.; lament the cancellation of the excellent Syfy series Alphas right when Nina gets awesome and Rachel finally gets to have sex; appreciate the U.S. government’s response to the official petition to build a Death Star; talk inflatable space hotels and the evolution of the U.S. space program’s potential as a thriving private industry; and take note of oceanographer Robert Ballard‘s incredible new discovery of 7,000-year old homes at the bottom of the Black Sea — which supports widespread cultural accounts of a Great Flood. Come join the geekery!

Direct Download
Blog Post

Just in case I go missing into some car trunk someday never to return (TopGun & Sean, you know who you are), let it be known that this is on record:

~Shooter Out

Speaking of P!NK …

//youtu.be/3KmoKOrKJvk

The article of the parent trying to shelter daughter from “princess” references seems silly. If linkage is available I’d like to peruse it. As father of 3 year old daughter I don’t understand the benefit of that kind of filtering. What would be a similar filter for a son … /shrug

OB

Sir, that is one of my favorite vids. Have that one on my phone and play it often.

Death Note 101, never admit it in writing! [forehead smack] stupid, stupid, stupid! :wink:

Linkage, per your request: http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/01/one-dads-ill-fated-battle-against-the-princesses/267000/

This related article is pretty interesting as well: http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/01/princesses-can-in-fact-be-role-models-for-little-girls/267326/

thanks Chuck. My “Advanced Teh Google Skillz” failed me (rolled a 1) :frowning:

I’ll float it by Mrs. Oddball as well.

Good stuff. Cheers,

OB

My god! the government does have a sense of humor!

“The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’” - Ronald Regan

Yea, I was against the whole princess thing with my daughter, then I realized that I am outnumbered 2:1. Thankfully I get to expose her to Star Trek before it’s to late!

Ooh, damn…Sean gets burned by Shooter…like getting run over by a simulated street drag racing muscle car :slight_smile:

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 357 quote(s). This poll will close on April 9th, 2013 at 07:51 AM.