#332: Toys, Part 3 (Table-Top Gaming)

We give love to the table-top games we grew up with and appreciate their role in a world before widespread video games. Audra talks about early digging on Trivial Pursuit, her meticulous Mouse Trap setup, and getting stuck being the thimble in Monopoly. Chuck and Sean take a serious look at competition, conflict, and friendship in their early table-top experiences together. And we run down the Week in Geek, check out Tom Hanks’ upcoming sci-fi web series Electric City and recognize the path paved by web series pioneer Felicia Day; get excited all over again about the long-awaited Hobbit movies and the rumor of a Gimli appearance; roll our eyes at Bill Murray’s perpetual thwarting of a Ghostbusters revival; and hear Sean’s awesome story about how Squeak’s first rock concert last week inspired her to construct — and play — her own drumset.

Direct Download
Blog Post

We should include Wil Wheaton’s show & the games he’s presented for this discussion.

For my personal experience, I always handed out a stack of 14 (instead of 7) cards when dealing with UNO. We have a Snap variation too (yes, based on the Snap game) - it happens (during a turn) when everyone knows we have matching cards and the last person to throw down gets a hard smack on the hand.

always fun pod-o-licious-ness!

Regarding the “Social Engineering” aspect of games. I would recommend “Diplomacy”.

It is a classic game based entirely on Social Engineering. Long before the internet (yes it is true), various engineers I worked with would use the IBM mainframe PROFS system to referee and participate in a weekly running version of “Diplomacy”. It added a secret dimension to our workplace as many of our water-cooler conversations would be dealings regarding the strategic alliances and intrigue in the game :slight_smile:

I think a GWC “Board Game” pod/video blog would be a fun thing to behold.

OB

Lol, homie, I’m not sure if any of us would survive it. :wink:

We should totally have our own “GWC trivia” game!

There’s no shortage of personal quips over 500 (& counting) 'casts over the whole GWC network!

Come to think of it, we kinda did have a mini-GWC trivia game over Eff! last week!

Great game. And a perfect one for playing by email/ web. I’ve done it!!

If you like social engineering, you should play Eve more:)
I laughed when you guys were talking about printing Monopoly money because my dad did that when I was little. He just went and copied them, so our game had a bunch of hundreds that were Xerox white.

Sean,

If this is The Hobbit version you were referring to on the cast it scared the tar out of me when I was a kid too. In fact it still scared the tar out of me when I watched it again last year. If it wasn’t for Jr I probably would have thrown the DVD into the fire.

~Shooter Out

I’ve never seen this. Now. I have to.

By your command…

//youtu.be/mfrhGXpLT4w

OB

Yeah that’s the one. Still gives me the heebee jeebies.
To paraphrase H.G. Wells

"Then I look about me at my fellow-hobbits; and I go in fear. "

Also, I’m not sure fire will burn that thing.

Beware you know not what you do sir! :wink: That movie is like the middle-earth version of The Ring. (pun intended after I thought about it.)

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 332 quote(s). This poll will close on August 24th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.

That particular version of The Hobbit was done by Rankin Bass, which was an animation studio that did alot of cartoons in the '70s. It’s definitely old-school animation. They also did a version of Return of the King in the same art style.

Oddly, that cartoon never really scared me, though I can see how parts of it might be really creepy to a little kid. Looking back at the art now, having seen the Ralph Bakshi and live-action Peter Jackson films, much of it is totally incongruous with what Tolkien described (particularly the goblins and the elves).