#320: Avengers Pt. 3, Iron Man 2

Our Avengers lead-up arc marches on with a re-watch of Iron Man 2.

Note: Sorry, everyone. I thought I’d already put this one out, but apparently I didn’t. I wondered why no one had anything at all to say about this episode, which I enjoyed recording quite a bit. Doh!

Direct DownloadBlog Post

No problem, Chuck. I was starting to wonder if everything was OK over there or if you missed a week of Eff This Week too. Thanks for everything you guys do for us.

Oh, and we actually watched that Stargate episode you were talking about last weekend :smiley:

+1 for Robyn reference
+1 for Burn Notice ref.

OB

I believe the anime that Sean was referencing was “Skycrawlers”. A very good yet dark and somewhat bleak film. And I think the kids were genetically designed clones as well, it has been a while since I saw it so I could be wrong… (God knows it has happened before :oops:)

I might be one of the few who wasn’t let down with Iron Man 2 from the get go. It might have been the fact that we tried to watch it at the drive-in with three grumpy kids and a grumpy wife. And I only got to watch the first 40ish minutes. So for me the anticipation of seeing the rest when it came out on Blu-ray was high. I liked the fact that Tony was a dick again. It’s how he is in the comics. I haven’t read a lot but enough to get him. So seeing him learn to be a “team player” was fun. Plus well who doesn’t want to see Iron Man and War Machine go at it to the beat of Queen.

Iron Man 2 is awesome. Opinions to the contrary are incorrect.

That is all.

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 320 quote(s). This poll will close on May 15th, 2012 at 05:16 AM.

Yeah, I don’t get the Iron Man 2 hate either. I didn’t like it quite as much as the first, but I was damn entertained for that movie. I had only two minor complaints. Black Widow and Nick Fury seemed a little too forced in the movie, but it didn’t bother me too much because they are both really cool characters on their own. Second, the scenes with Justin Hammer and Ivan just didn’t work for me. Not sure if it was supposed to be played for laughs, or what, but it just felt awkward. Compare the stuff with Hammer and Ivan to the scene with Tony and Ivan in the jail, which was intense and almost scary. In any case, minor complaints for a movie I enjoyed.

One interesting scene I noted in IM2: the scene where Hammer meets Ivan after springing him from jail. Hammer is in a white suit, white jet, white flowers on table, white hanger, white napkins, etc. I wondered if that was a subtle monochromatic joke on Steve Jobs. The all white seemed very Apple. I thought maybe they were highlighting Hammer is Jobs, Tony is Woz. http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/ponyboyzero/jh.jpg
Hammer seems to be a less smart version of what Tony would be if not for his epiphany at the cave.