#31: Win8, Antennagate, Switching, Clear App Review

We run down the news, including Apple’s final “antennagate” settlement (hint: you probably already got yours), our take on the new Windows 8 logo (and Microsoft’s Win8 future), Google’s new Chrome “sign in,” the new Minecraft-themed Lego sets, and this week’s WebOS governance rules announcement. We also offer some tips to a listener who asked (via Twitter) what a long-time Windows user should expect when confronting an Apple desktop. And we review the much-buzzed iOS task app Clear and it’s killer new UI.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Interesting to hear about your impressions of Clear. It’s great, and as Juan rightly states, slick. It’s almost too easy to use.

To make this the most awesome, app, syncing across devices (iphone / ipad) would make it a KILLER app.

I would pay, and pay handsomely, for that functionality. With the cloud, is there any reason it could not be done…?

gaf

Thank you for addressing my question, very helpful. Here are my notes from the podcast, if anyone else has something to add please send it my way.

1. COMMAND is usually = CTRL or ALT

2. Programs don’t close when the window is closed, must CTRL+QUIT or File > Quit

3. Sounds like the multiple mouse options are going to require some investigation to find what’s right for me…

4. No Vizio available - possible replacement OmniGraffle

5. MS Office better than the standard iOS suite for advanced users

6. Most popular programs are available for iOS.

• That’s good to know, there are a few things that might be a challenge to easily replace: Arduino IDE, a HEX editor, a port monitor (something like Hyperterminal). I’m really going to miss batch files but that won’t stop me.
  1. VLC is available, can update Quicktime codecs with “Perian”

2. Searching for files or applications: Spotlight = Command + <spacebar>

3. Can print to PDF

Thanks again.

Keep in mind that iOS != OS X. (They have some of the same roots, but it’s like comparing Android and Desktop Linux)

The Arduino IDE is available for OS X, and is always kept on par with the Windows version. You can easily look at ports using the screen command in terminal. There are a number of Hex editors for OS X, (I’m not sure what you need one for…)

I think there are very few things that you’d actually have a hard time finding. And there are lots of people to ask (especially here)