#301: Top (n)

We round up some of the Best of 2011 in our new patent-pending Top (n) lists. And we run down the week in geek, including some analysis of the analysis of Trek 2/12, Baldwin’s now-infamous Words With Friends addiction, a cool new take on Snow White, and the latest trends in ePublishing.

Direct Download
Blog Post

25 days as in 24 hour cycles, roughly 600 hours.

And I’m proud to say I never listened at work, since I’ve never been employed at an office. Though some listened to during homework.

And I’m disappointed you didn’t recognize my voice >:(

…though it has been a while.

/shakes head

KAHN!!!

as a humorous side note … let the link run through to the ‘Viceroy commercial’ at 2:44 mark.

Finally the Viceroy ad reminds me of:

//youtu.be/sw8S_Kv89IU

OB

Christopher Walken’s take on watches.

//youtu.be/S39paDGZ0Ew

The Omega is a beautiful way to know the time of day … deep in the ocean blue. Hop to time stamp 3:19, or just watch Eva Green (giggity).

OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry

OMSI is awesome, I remember the Walk-through of the heart when I was a kid. For years and years it sat outside exposed to the elements because the Musuem had nowhere else to put it. OMSI moved buildings to downtown Portland and I wonder from time to time what ever happened to that giant heart. My strongest memory of is that the flooring was Diamond Plate steel, painted red to match the rest of it. The building OMSI occupied then has since been turned into a Children’s Museum. I’ve never been there, but it looks pretty awesome.

I’m looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsman. I’m ambivalent to the casting of Kristen Stewart. She seems to be a fine actress in some films (Panic Room, Adventureland, The Runaways). The Twilight films have been so poorly directed that it’s unfair to judge her by how stilted and awkward Bella is in those movies. She isn’t who I would picture as Snow White, but that might be due to Disney’s influence. I’m perfectly willing to give her a chance and new takes on same-old characters are always welcome. The Huntsman being after her is actually part of the original tale. The Evil Queen sends the Huntsman to kill her, but at the last moment he can’t do it. Thor Huntsman, Charlize Evil Queen with T-1000 magic mirror, Joan-of-Arc looking Snow White fighting explody charcoal soldiers … yeah, this looks like my cup o’ tea.

In typical Hollywood fashion, there’s also Mirror, Mirror coming out this year, as well as the inevitable direct-to-video Snow White story by the wacky folks at Asylum. I’ve been enjoying Once Upon a Time on ABC. Ginnifer Goodwin’s pixie cut Snow White/Mary is too damned adorable for words. I also have 15 or 16 of the Fables TPB’s. While Grimm hasn’t actually done it for me, I’m still glad it’s out there for those that do like it. It’s a good time to be a fairy tale geek.

Flattered by the crews comments and Sean thank you man, really made my day. If you look closely at the 300th painting theres an orc behind Audra to the left with his eyes wide open…I wanted to have him saying “ahhhh boobage!” but did not want to disrespect anyone.

Yes indeed Snow white and the huntsman looks like it could be cool. Mirror Mirror on the otherhand not so much but could be a sleeper.

Paint Monger

To add to Audra’s Movie list;

Bill Cunningham’s New York
Limelight
Sleeping Beauty
The Skin I Live In

regarding quotes from Archer … two words:

Danger Zone!

//youtu.be/k3-zaTr6OUo

Hanukkah can be spelled several different ways in English, either with a CH or H. The proper pronunciation is that throaty “KH” sound, which there is not an exact equivalent in English. Most people in the US (myself included) say it as if it is spelled with an H because it is easier to say.

I think this show is where y’all talk about not many Japanese heroes in stories? Sorry if I’m mixed up. Anyways, Clint Eastwood’s Letters From Iwo Jima is a great movie told from the perspective of the Japanese. It’s sort of a companion to Flags Of Our Fathers and surpasses it, in my opinion. Not very Sci Fi, but a fascinating story.

So, did poster happen?

The AWESOME Paint Monger GWC Poster is now available on the GWC Store (Zazzle). You can buy it in ANY size and ANY level of print/paper. THANK YOU to Sean and Paint Monger for making it available to all of us!

http://www.zazzle.com/gwc_300th_artwork_poster-228137417317584260

~Shooter Out

HELL yhea!, thats great, thanks to Sean for hookin it up for sale! thanks Shooter for the annoucement, hope it sells decently , all proceeds goes back into the podcast and equipment.

GWCers Chuck Audra, Juan, Sean, and all who make up this amazing community thank you! you guys rock hard as fRAKK!

paint monger

Awesome way to contribute Paint Monger =)

Was a fantastic painting too!

sort of like the self publishing discussion.

… here is a kickstarter link for JourneyQuest (Season2). Behold the video.

Many good ideas are discussed and Journey Quest is awesome!

OB

For Audra:

//youtu.be/Rd1Pyu9_rxo

That is super cool of you Paint Monger. The artwork, the donation. You rock just as hard as the crewe. :slight_smile:

Cymbalism 101. As a geek, you wait all your life for a chance to share information like this. SABIAN Cymbals (made in Canarnia) was founded by the grandchildren of Avedis Zildgian. The name is an acronym of the first letters of their names. The reason why all the drum corps use SABIAN’s is because the marketing department is very keen on giving out mega $$$ sets for promotional purposes.

Anyway, the perception is that they’re not as good as Zildgian’s and they’re probably not, but they’re not as inferior as many people believe them to be. Except the China cymbals. Zildgian Chinas are the best. Now if you’re in the market for a gong, Paiste is the only way to go.

Thank you for providing me with this golden opportunity to be a drummer geek. It doesn’t happen every day. Oh and BTW, I’m wearing a SABIAN t-shirt in honor of this moment.

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 301 quote(s). This poll will close on January 11th, 2012 at 09:12 AM.