#30: AT&T Fees, Multi-Monitors

We catch up on some news, including new password leaks by multiple companies, Syrian officials’ lame-ass passwords (12345? Really?), and Kodak’s exit from the world of digital cameras. We note the oft-overlooked versioning features in Google Docs. We run down some new fees and changes to AT&T mobile users’ accounts. And we answer Gizmodo’s recent question: How many monitors is too many?

Direct Download
Blog Post

Hey, that’s the combination to my luggage!

With regards to monitors, one of the great things I find at work about the larger-size same-resolution screens is that suddenly a whole lot more end-users are happy with the native res of a screen, rather than the next one down that doesn’t scale completely cleanly.

When it comes to multiple monitors, I swear by using two. I started out using two for work, which i find very useful. Currently I have a 21" 4:3 and a 22" 16:10, and my usual tendancy is to keep email in one and general workspaces on the other. It also means I can remote into servers without losing access to my work box. It also makes side-by-side comparisons, orders, and anything else where you might have two main windows open at the same time a lot easier.

I also do the same at home. Mainly as work were getting rid of some old 15" screens a few years back. If all you have (as I did) is a 17" 4:3 screen, that little 15" on the side helps a lot. Personally, I tend to keep a chat window open in one, and whatever I’m mainly doing in the other.
I then was able to acquire a second hand second 17" screen, which replaced the 15". This worked out a lot cheaper than buying a single larger monitor. And my (older style) Mac mini has both Mini-DP and Mini-DVI. So it drives both quite well.

In fact, one of my recommendations would be that if you’re running out of space on your monitor and you don’t necessarily need to keep everything on the one screen, it is worth looking into if a cheap small monitor would help. Even if it’s just to take something like a chat or Twitter window away from your primary screen.
It is also a useful way of gaining extra screen-space if you use a laptop as a primary computer - as I did when I started my current job. The rest of the IT Team tended towards dual-screneing rather than piping out solely to the external monitor, and I soon found it useful.

“Sad that Kodak thought it was in the film business, when it was really in the memories, self expression and shared experience business.”

– Wall Street Journal, via Bob Lefsetz; the WSJ article is behind a pay wall, but you can read Lefsetz’s commentary on it here:

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2012/01/08/kodak/

Interesting website pointed out to me recently… http://plaintextoffenders.com/

Place to report sites & systems storing passwords insecurely.

I work as a software tester and it is annoying that I’m restricted to one monitor when Devs and BA’s get either the monitor + laptop or the dual monitor option dual monitor envy. Hopefully in my new job, I’ll have two.

I’ve recently made the decision to ditch PC and go the way of Apple. It will (most likely) be a MAC Book Pro with SSD, 4G RAM, and a second monitor. I was doing some reading about the machine and saw that it has a 10Gbit “Thunderbolt” interface (Juan mentioned it briefly in this 'cast) that can be used for many purposes, one of which is a second monitor.

So of course Apple sells a Thunderbolt compatible monitor for $999.00, however it’s not real clear what the benefit of a having a 10Gbit connection to your monitor is (beyond having a USB hub built in). I don’t intend to do any gaming with this machine, just music composition/recording, video editing, and media consumption.

Here’s my question: what do you think the Thunderbolt compatible monitor can do for me? Anything? If not I can certainly get a more cost effective monitor and plug in a USB hub for more ports.

Thanks guys, love the podcast.

-Chris

I think there’s more to it, don’t the Thunderbolt monitors come with a camera, firewire, and gigabit ethernet ports too? One neat feature I like about them is the ability to daisy chain 'em, but I haven’t gotten a mac that can use these yet and am going off second-hand data, so YMMV.

Someone mentioned something that sounded like something that remembers passwords for you…? Please explain; sounds like something I need to know about.