3.2 "Dark Wings, Dark Words" - SPOILERS

Synopsis from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Wings,_Dark_Words

In King’s Landing Lady Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) is invited to lunch by Margaery’s grandmother, Lady Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg) and Lady Margaery (Natalie Dormer). While there, Sansa is asked to tell them about Joffrey, and whether he will be a good husband to Margaery. Sansa is reluctant to speak the truth about Joffrey, but she is eventually persuaded to tell them of his cruelty.

While being fitted for his wedding clothes, King Joffrey Baratheon (Jack Gleeson) discusses his bride-to-be with his mother, Queen Cersei (Lena Headey). Afterward, Joffrey invites Margaery to his chamber to discuss his upcoming hunt. He grows impatient with her answers to his questions regarding her last husband, Renly Baratheon, and whether or not she laid with him as husband and wife. Margaery makes the implication that Renly was homosexual, and quickly sidesteps further questions by discussing Joffrey’s new crossbow.
Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage) returns to his chamber to find Shae (Sibel Kekilli) waiting for him. He warns her of his father’s promise to him regarding his whoring, but she is undaunted. She warns him that Lord Baelish has taken an interest in Sansa Stark, to which he replies that, now that she is no longer Joffrey’s future queen, many men will take interest in her.

Beyond the Wall

Mance Rayder (Ciarán Hinds) continues to be distrustful of Jon Snow (Kit Harington), speaking to him while marching toward the wall. They stop briefly, along with Tormund Giantsbane (Kristofer Hivju) and Ygritte (Rose Leslie), to speak with Orell (Mackenzie Crook). Orell is revealed to be a warg, and capable of seeing through the eyes of animals. He awakens from his trance to tell Mance that he has seen the Fist of the First Men, and the aftermath of the battle which took place there.
While marching back to the Wall, Samwell Tarly (John Bradley) falls from exhaustion. He is aided by Grenn (Mark Stanley) and Edd (Ben Crompton), before the Lord Commander (James Cosmo) orders Rast (Luke Barnes) to ensure Sam reaches the Wall alive.

At the Dreadfort

Theon Greyjoy (Alfie Allen) has been taken captive by a group of men and is being tortured. Despite Theon answering all questions truthfully, they continue the torture regardless. After they leave, a boy (Iwan Rheon), who claims to have been sent by Yara Greyjoy, promises to aid him once the soldiers are sleeping.

In the North

While heading toward the Wall, Lord Bran Stark (Isaac Hempstead-Wright) has a dream, where he is trying to shoot the three-eyed crow, but is confronted by a boy who explains that it is impossible, as Bran is the crow. When he awakens, Hodor (Kristian Nairn) and Osha (Natalia Tena) continue their northern march with Bran’s younger brother Rickon (Art Parkinson). Later, while Hodor and Rickon are away, Osha suspects someone is following them and leaves to investigate. Bran is then confronted by the boy from his dream, who reveals that he is Jojen Reed (Thomas Brodie Sangster), and a warg like Bran. He is accompanied by his sister, Meera (Ellie Kendrick). Jojen says that he too had the dream, and that they have been searching for Bran, believing he will play a critical role in the future.

At Harrenhal and the Riverlands

King-in-the-North Robb Stark (Richard Madden) receives two letters, informing him of the death of his grandfather, Hoster Tully, and that his home, Winterfell, has been put to the torch by the Iron Islanders. Furthermore, Bran and Rickon were not found among the ruins of Winterfell. He informs his mother, Lady Catelyn (Michelle Fairley) of this news, and they depart for Riverrun, her girlhood home, for her father’s funeral. While on the road, Lord Rickard Karstark (John Stahl) voices his displeasure with the funeral distraction. Later, Catelyn discusses her children with Queen Talisa (Oona Chaplin), and how she feels responsible for what has happened to them.

In the Riverlands

Travelling north, Arya Stark (Maisie Williams), Gendry (Joe Dempsie), and Hot Pie (Ben Hawkey) are discovered by a small party led by Thoros of Myr (Paul Kaye), who suspects them of having escaped Harrenhal. He tells them that he and his men fight for the Brotherhood without Banners, and takes them to an inn to eat. Once finished, Arya, Gendry, and Hot Pie are leaving when another group of Brotherhood soldiers enter with a captive Sandor Clegane (Rory McCann), who recognizes Arya and reveals her true identity to Thoros and his men.

In the Crownlands

Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie) continues to transport Ser Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) to King’s Landing, hoping to trade him for Sansa and Arya. While travelling, they encounter a farmer who warns them of the danger in travelling the Kingsroad. Jaime warns Brienne that the farmer might give their presence away and must be killed, but Brienne refuses. When they are later travelling across a bridge, Jaime seizes opportunity and takes one of Brienne’s swords, but is quickly bested by her. Shortly after their fight, they are taken captive by Locke (Noah Taylor), a bannerman of Lord Roose Bolton (Michael McElhatton), aided by the farmer, who recognized Jaime.

Discuss

HODOR!

• I can’t help but think the actor playing Bran is growing at a pretty alarming rate. I liked how they introduced Meera and Jojen into the fold for now.

• Margaery gets shit done.

• Brienne and Jaime definitely works just as well on screen as the books.

• In general I liked how the episode was sort of unified by the (slight) focus on each of the Stark kids and how they’re faring now. The only scenes I’m meh about is Robb’s.

There were a bunch of new characters in this one. Having not read the books (please don’t hate me!) I admit that I started to get a little lost with this episode. I will have to watch it again, read up on the characters, and then make full comment.

In the meantime, here are my short comments:

• I’m fascinated with the game that Margaery is playing with Joffrey.

• Is it just me or do Jon Snow and Ygritte have this I’m going to kill you flirting thing going on?

• I do not take pity on Theon. One.little.bit.

• I’m loving the warg theme. It explains a lot. It’s applicable to modern day military surveillance technology in a witchcraft sort of way

• Arya should know how to hold her weapon better by now

• I’m very glad Lady Stark is taking responsibility for something here. She seemed ambivalent to consequences last season

• Remind me never to cross Brienne. Ever. The woman could take on a plethora of mounted knights…perhaps we’ll get to see that

My main thought after this episode was why does everything think Brienne is so ugly? She’s kind of attractive, lol. She’s just huge and there is nothing wrong with that.

As much as I like this show I think it is attempting to cover too much at the same time. I appreciate the time spent with each of the Stark children but at the end of the day we got only a brief glimpse into each of them and still had to exclude other plotlines. I fear this show will collapse from the collective weight of multiple plotlines and we will have episodes of 20 three minute vignettes. I’m starting to struggle to remember who is what and where they are.

That being said it was a meh episode. We learned of Worgs, that was basically the only new piece of information we were given. That being said, great character work all around. Margaery’s Grandmother was priceless and Margaery herself is coming into her own playing the Queen she knows Geoffrey wants while being fully aware of what he really is.

It was a little startling to see how much Bran has grown up in real time but I adjusted to it quickly. The fact that he is a Worg, I can’t help that is going to play in a confrontation with Jaime and Cersei. Good lord, there are so many plot points to cover it almost makes it meaningless to try.

Great confrontation at the end. Really good moments where Jaime is coaching and commenting on her swordplay in real time while giving an appreciation that she really is quite good. Nice touch.

So, overall an oversized buffet of good but not great food. Still better than most television.

I also like it. But they just have to cover so much in so little time. Ep #2 was like Ep #1, part II. If you can’t get to all the characters in one episode, that represents a problem on some level.

Maybe it’s necessary to view GOT as a collection of 10-hour movies, not one-hour episodes.

I think it does have the potential of collapsing under the weight of its own story lines. I wouldn’t object if they’d stop trying to barf a bit of everything into one episode. Why not a meatier focus on half the story lines at a time?

I know they are setting the stage right now, but it’s not satisfying.

I’m going to let them get out the exposition and hope for a great ride.

Did I miss what happened to Rickon Stark?

ETA: Nevermind, I saw him run off as they were walking with the cart.