#298: Geek Gifts

We talk about some of our favorite geek gifts this holiday season. And we run down the week in geek, including lots more Skyrim love, a discussion of The Captains documentary, new Trek 2/12 news (filming and work on effects shots has begun), Sean’s take on Anita Blake audiobooks and sex in magic, some talk of the Hunger Games movie trailer, five reasons you should follow The Rock on Twitter, and Pixar’s update on their latest work.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Behold! Let the downloading commence forsooth

I now follow the Rock, for thou sayeth so.

Also, just saw today a contest to be a walk on in ST12.

And I work Black Friday. So I will need to scream about 3pm on Friday.

well the wife sent this link when I asked about her holiday wish list … giggity. (NSFW).

About as subtle as a hand grenade, but I get the hint :slight_smile:

No one is complaining…well…I’m not.

Here is the Brave Teaser I was speaking of. Looks really good. There’s a regular trailer out now as well.

//youtu.be/tYg0VgPy6Uk

//youtu.be/l97FRYZMzE4

I do have to disagree with one of Audra’s gift ideas…

A gift card / month pass to a fitness center (even if it’s one she already attends), most likely not a good idea.

as with most things, it depends on the recipient. a gung-ho wolverine type would LOVE a gift like that. I got a certificate for personal training sessions from my sis/b-i-l a couple of years ago and I was over the moon. I cannot generally afford “luxuries” like PT, and I appreciated that more than any other gift I got that year.

Brave looks amazing, watching it got me chills. That hair is so finely detailed and rendered.
I stumbled upon a trailer on XBOX live called Chronicle looks interesting almost like the making of some teen super villians

[video=youtube_share;nGcwSDNFcsU]http://youtu.be/nGcwSDNFcsU[/video]

These Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy movies all make great Geek Gifts for the holidays this year.

And yes, I ran out and bought the Harry Potter 7 Part 2 the week it came out to avoid losing out to “The Vault” thanks to GWC. Now I have my own complete set and don’t have to worry about buying the complete Harry Potter set for a gazillion dollars.

~Shooter Out

Mr. Lister, Sir got me thinking. If Jawas are “Little People” what are some of the similarities and differences you can tell me between Jawas, Hobbits, Ewoks, Munchkins, Goblins (like in Harry Potter), and Dwarfs? Also, did I miss any of them?

~Shooter Out

Ok the part about point and shoot cameras.

As far as consumer grade point and shoots, really that is going to be replaced with the camera phone. Really a iPhone 4s is not a bad camera, even with it’s limitations. At the consumer level what most people want is a camera that you can take a quick snap and get a nice shot up onto Facebook or occasionally get a 4x6 print. While there are better cameras in this price range, none is more convenient than the 4s.

A little higher up is what are called enthusiasts models. These usually have more available controls, and can shoot RAW image files allowing for more extensive post process work. For those wondering a RAW file is just that, the raw data straight off the sensor without the camera’s internal computing system doing anything to it. It’s akin to a undeveloped negative in film terms. Cameras that fit this sector include the Canon S100, the Nikon P7000, and the Fuji X10.

Finally there are pro level point and shoots. These usually have fewer features (scene modes, art filters etc) better build quality and much more direct controls along with DSLR sized sensors (APS-C). Currently there are only four such cameras on the market. The Sigma DP-1s and DP-2x, The Leica X-1, and The Fuji X100. None of these cameras have zooms, instead going with much sharper Prime optics all in the 35mm to 40mm range - classic for street photography with the DP-1 being the exception at 28mm. These are cameras that are designed for those who already have a good understanding of Photography and want a no compromise, no nonsense tool capable of professional results without having to drag around a large DSLR.

Hope this helps.

Anyone have that voice robot on iPod say “geek” with a soft “G” sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta agree with Lady D on this one. As a GWC Fitness Club dweller, I’d be stoked with a gift card to my gym. There are a lot of classes that I would probably try to shake up my workouts if I wasn’t on the hook for them, and adding an extra month to my year membership before I have to renew for a year - heck yeah, I’m down with that.

Bit’ jump on over the Fitness club threads on the forum buddy and check ‘em out :). There’s tones of geeky goodness goin’ down right now, including a great discussion of whether you rely on the Light Side or Dark Side of the force while working out (Go team Sith), that has started to incorporate some X-Men: First Class in it!

#wolverines :slight_smile:

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 298 quote(s). This poll will close on December 18th, 2011 at 09:23 PM.