#285: Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Conan

Absofrakkinlutely loving all the Babylon 5 love.

MIster Moooorrrrden…that dude was just evil, packed with evil, topped with evil, and sprinkled with evil flakes.

him and…

//youtu.be/2G4WJMq9N0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G4WJMq9N0o

OMG Bester! Arguably the best part & acting Koenig’s ever done! Truly menacing, awesomely calculating. Loved to hate him

Great Podcast guys. I also thought that Rise of the Planet of the Apes was the best movie of this summer and perhaps the year. Also, I thought that a more appropriate comparison movie was the fourth movie, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. I know that RPOTA had many callbacks to the original movie, it was clear to me that this was a deliberate remake or re-imagining of CPOTA. If any of you haven’t seen CPOTA, you should. Caesar has a brilliant speech at the end which everyone should see.

“Where there is fire, there is smoke. And in that smoke, from this day forward, my people will crouch and conspire, and plot, and plan for the inevitable day of Man’s downfall. The day when he finally and self-destructively turns his weapons against his own kind. The day of the writing in the sky, when your cities lie buried under radioactive rubble! When the sea is a dead sea and the land is a wasteland, out of which I will lead my people from their captivity! And we shall build our own cities, in which there will be no place for humans except to serve our ends! And we shall found our own armies, our own religion, our own dynasty! And that day is upon you NOW!”

http://vimeo.com/24965808

yes, “Conquest” was remarkable in it’s time.

The scene of Ceasar’s interrogation stuck in my young mind for a very very long time. Later in life when I watched the “Actor’s Studio” series and the question was asked about “What job you would not want to do?”, and answer given was “Executioner” it reminded me of that scene.

thanks frakintalos. i tried to find that video to post. Now you done made me put it in my Netflix queue.

Of course he was upset…I mean, they killed KHAAAAANNNNN!

(Ricardo Montalban played Ceasars friend in the beginning of the film - that and I like saying KHAAAAAANNNN randomly)

I have some bad news for you guys: Project Icarus is real.

It’s a theoretical engineering study to design an interstellar spacecraft. It may get lost on its way.

Hey, just listened to the cast, despite not having seen Planet yet. Bedlam beat me to the punch on this, but I wanted to point out that Rise is definitely a reboot/reimagining and not a direct prequel, despite its apparently many references to the Heston “Apes.” Although the original 5 movies never state how the apes gain the power of intelligence and speech, it is shown that in both the original and “altered” timelines the apes revolted after being used as slave labor. It is implied that speech development was just a random event in the original timeline, although in the revised timeline Caeser has speech because his parents were able to speak.

I can’t wait to see this movie and see where they run with the idea, especially if talk of sequels is correct.

Been awhile since I checked in here! Hi y’all!

I had a great time with this 'cast. Nice to here the really in-depth look at the Apes movie. And although I haven’t seen it yet, I listened anyway. One of the questions that seemed to come up was how Mankind met its doom in the original movies. There wasn’t much question that it was nuclear war/warfare in general that we did ourselves in with. It was stated pretty clearly in at least one of the films, with a race of underground humans (mutated by radiation) who literally worshipped a leftover ICBM as a deity. It was the “Alpha-Omega” bomb, the big doomsday weapon that hadn’t been set off…and of course one of the second group of astronauts who arrived on the future Earth (James Franciscus I think) set the damned thing off at the end of the movie as the apes are closing in. We just never learn. :slight_smile:

Audra’s description of the Apes habitat at the San Diego Zoo was so right. For those wondering, the animals are separated from the humans by a long, high plexiglass (or some kind of composite) clear wall. There’s grass, bushes, trees…except for a few man made platforms and such it could be a hillside in the wild. You stand there and watch the great apes walk around, hold their youngsters, sit together, groom, climb, etc., and look back at you. And seeing them like that, so nearly human in form, you get this (at least I did) real feeling of connection when you look into their eyes gazing back at you. It’s uncanny, almost like going back in time somehow and seeing how we got our start. I got the same feeling from the extended movie trailer, and the Crue’s description of the movie has assured I’ll be going to see it this weekend.

Awesome hearing Juan and Shooter in the 'casts too! Looks like the new rig is working like a mofo Chuck, sound quality right up there with the best of the past 'casts. Really liking Sean’s recent spate of Ferris Bueller references. Sean O’Hara you’re my hero :slight_smile:

Edit: Oops! It was in fact Charlton Heston (who had a minor role, again as Taylor the astronaut) who sets off the bomb). Thanks IMDB!

The fact that the film made you want to sit down and discuss it in depth for a podcast segment speaks to how good a film it is. It is not about special effects or getting popular music groups to do the soundtrack. It is about making you think, and making you feel, reflect and rethink the world around you. Whether it be about what it really is, or what it could be…

A good science Fiction film should do what classic Science Fiction books did, make you think, question preconceptions, embrace change. Reawaken your childlike wonder and to imagine and ponder new possibilities. The fact that they can make you feel for the characters and make them emote speaks to good storytelling, especially when the majority of them cannot speak or write.

My feelings on the film is already posted on another thread, no need to duplicate it. I also posted my review for Conan last week as well on another thread.

When is Sean going to do his ‘Tentacle Sex’ podcast? :smiley:

I always assumed that Caesar, as the uniquely gifted leader, was in a position to do a whole. lot. of. frakking.

Oh…I also meant to mention how did y’all not know that Buck was a gorilla? A great ape? Great Apes cover humans, orangutans, chimps, and gorillas.

I think one of the things that really stands out of Rise of Planet of the Apes, especially this summer is that is an almost pure Science Fiction movie. Most movies we classify as “Sci-Fi” are really Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure movies. This summer has had plenty Sci-Fi/Something movies, but “Science Fiction” movies are actually pretty rare.
The original Planet of the Apes I would consider to be a pure “Science Fiction” movie, which is why I’m glad they kept Rise in that same tone, as opposed to the 2001 Burton Apes movie, which they tried to turn into Sci-Fi/Action.

Icarus was also the name of the space ships in Sunshine, a great little sci-fi movie from a few years ago. Earth put all its resources into those two ships that were sent to deliberately fly too close to the sun. And the twist made the ships’ names even creepier. They didn’t fly too close and end up plummeting, that’s all I’m going to say.

Audra: Damnit, Bedlam, I’m a Doctor of the Humanities, not a primatologist!"

A cast I enjoyed overall the most in the last few months and was interested in nearly all topics. Thanks for that. Here are some of my thots:
[ul]
[li]Conan: Have only seen bits and pieces of the original one like 15 years ago and only remember that James Earl Jones played a villain. Since I have to wait about a month till it gets released here, I’m nearly bursting with anticipation and envy since you all can already see it…even the Italians! Especially since much of it was filmed in Bulgaria where most of my family lives. Regarding Momoa’s portrayal…he said that he pinned pics of sexy women on his mirror in his trailer and since his wife was far away, he built-up so much sexual frustration that on set he really could get into the mindset of Conan. :D[/li][li]If you wanna see Shakespearean acting plus boobs, blood and swordplay like in the new Conan movie, I was surprised that Sean didn’t mention Spartacus: Blood and Sand![/li][/ul]

//youtu.be/GW2sNb1cd-w

[ul]
[li]All your Rise of the Planes of the Apes talk really makes me desire to watch it on the big screen!! Only need to find a cinema which airs the English version. Will I miss much having not seen the Charlton Heston movie?? I know the basic story though through this musical :D: [/li]//youtu.be/gMnG3gOqigE

[li]before I listened to this episode, I found this Graphic of how the Future is portrayed in movies and TV shows on Twitter. Since you mentioned that, I feel free to post it here. Beware of Spoilers! :wink: [/li][/ul]

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 285 quote(s). This poll will close on September 11th, 2011 at 07:54 PM

Hello peeps. Haven’t posted in ages, but been catching up on the recent podcasts, and wanted to chime in about this particular one. Rise of…was definitely one of the best, if not, the best movie of the summer. Kinda nice considering it came so late in the season. Also, and I may have missed it when it was mentioned, but a documentary called Project Nim came out this summer that elaborates more on some of the themes in this film. Please forgive me if it’s already been brought up, or posted. =D

//youtu.be/yxQap9AAPOs

Guess who just purchased the new Rise of the Apes DVD and is posting in this thread?

<—This guy! That’s who!

Andy Serkis better at least be nominated. You hear that, Academy?