#283: Cowboys & Aliens, Pottermore

We’re joined by MIT and USC’s Dr. Henry Jenkins, who shares his thoughts on the significance of Pottermore. Chuck and Audra discuss the recent Cowboys & Aliens release. And we run down the week in geek, including possible new Cosmos episodes from the folks at Fox, new awesome design tools in Forza Motorsports, Mass Effect 3′s box-cover-leading femShep, Eureka’s six-episode season six order (and the possible end of the show), and a new answer to the ‘bot question “can you frak it?”

Direct DownloadBlog Post

Yay! Downloading it now :slight_smile: I was afraid that when you mentioned a cast being released later in the week I would be GWCless for a few days. Oh and the new forum design takes some getting used to! It’s so BRITE!!!

Thar be downloadin’, ye Scallywags!!

EDIT - Spooge vocally???

Dr. Henry Jeeennnnnnnnkinnnns!

Right? I’m going to need to get some sunglasses.

The new forum format really brightens up my basement… :smiley:

Whoh. I think we’ve all gone to the Light Side.

Okay, now what color font to we use to say something under our breath? Got it…

Digging the updated site, guys! Well done!

Some thoughts while listening. Cowboys and Aliens I really enjoyed. I think mostly because it reminds me of a Sergio Leone Western. It’s sparse and gritty, much like say Once Upon A Time In The West or The Good The Bad And The Ugly. The score in reference to it’s modernist approach is much like Ennio Morricone’s approach to writing the scores to Leone’s Western, which at the time was revolutionary for it’s use of modern and unusual instruments. The pacing is very Leone as well with long sections of exposition and character development with brief intense moments of action and violence. I really liked this movie because it was more of a Western than another action sci-fi’er

80% of people play Male Shepard??? WTF! I knew it was high…but what is wrong with people (sorry Chuck :p). I have never played a male Bioware character. SHEPARD IS FEMALE!

Hear! Hear! I have done the same… If I am going to be staring at the ass of a onscreen character for hours on end it is damned well going to be a FEMALE ass. :smiley:

with props to Randy Quaid in ID4…

Awesome Sauce!

The Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots movie coming out is called Real Steel. Huuuuge (Neeeeews!) 3D display for it in the local theater. And it’s a Dreamworks production, so there’s some money behind it.

[video=youtube_share;ei5l3r1dV4I]http://youtu.be/ei5l3r1dV4I[/video]

Real Steel! I keep calling it Red Steal… I’ve no idea why. Looks pretty cool.

…and damn if this forum color doesn’t take some getting used to after 4 years of the dark.

To quote Schwarzenneger in Total Recall, “MY EYES!”

So white! So white!

Idea for the GWC store: Sunglasses. I vote for Matrix-style ones or old-school Wayfarers (worn by Tom Cruise in risky business).

Maybe Chuck’s male Shepard is trans-gendered? :groucho:

I’m not that much of a console gamer owning the PS3 mainly for it’s (at the time) uber Blu-ray status but I could easily see myself buying a 360 off the back of Forza 4 alone, maybe not the cheapest piece of entertainment out there but driving games are well supported on consoles although still a PC guy;)
Interesting interview with Doc Henry and a new Cosmos, you know that could be the ratings surprise of that season for FOX.
Not seen Cowboys and Aliens so skipped that bit:D

Just wanted to drop in and say I LOVE the new format. Well done guys! What a difference! Looking forward to many more years of GWC.

The only snippet of this movie I know is that Kate Austen (Evangeline Lilly) stars in it. Always keeping tabs on my LOST homes. :smiley:

While I agree with Chuck that the main story was centered around Jake, I must say I felt the same way Audra does about the supporting character B stories. I felt the father/sons story were skimmed over and lacking true depth. I wanted to feel more for them. I know the actors were definitely up to the job, just not given the screen time to do it.

Also, the humor- I am dying to see what was left on the cutting room floor! It’s my hope this dvd will be released with a director’s cut that will allow us time to get the depths we wish and enjoy the humor that was shortchanged.

And Clancy Brown’s preacher was wonderful!! After seeing him play such baddies, it was refreshing to see him so playful in such a role!

I dug Olivia Wilde’s performance, but am I the only one put off by how bony she seemed? I’m not saying she should be all Catherine Zeta-Jonesy, but, well, maybe I’m just guilty of objectifying her in a negative way. Still, I’d like to see her and Daniel Craig sit down and eat sammiches & cake! Must be the momma in me- lol!