#275: Memory Part 2, George Johnson, FSL 3.0 Round 1

We continue our memory arc joined by George Johnson, author of In The Palaces of Memory: How We Build the Worlds Inside Our Heads (and the recent Ten Most Beautiful Experiments). We tackle round one of fantasy sci-fi league 3.0. And we run down the week in geek including Opportunity’s soon approach to the appropriately-named Spirit Point, lots of E3 gaming news including the upcoming Mass Effect 3 and Halo 4, some early-announced guest stars on Warehouse 13, and a fast-food clerk named Xena.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Downloading now.

Don’t know what it is about FSL, but it makes me ever so much more eager to listen as soon as I can!

Article I was talking about in the news segment:
http://news.discovery.com/space/twitter-helps-astronomers-zero-in-on-m51-supernova-110606.html

I kept meaning to recommend the Vatta’s War series on here but never got around to it. As soon as Sean started talking about Honor, I had a feeling that was what he found. I guess I need to make recommendations sooner.

EDIT: Oh, and on that stuff about less politics… well, this first book was mainly to set up the framework for the rest of the series. Just like On Baslisk Station didn’t have all that much politics. It doesn’t necessarily go as far into the politics as the later Honor Harrington books, but politics do become a factor.

Edit 2: I’m a he.

Chuck & Sean,

Just like Jack Sparrow, it’s CAPTAIN Mal. =)

It was great to be able to link up our two trips and spend a little time together!

~Shooter Out

1. About half way through second book now…awesomeness!!!

2. Sorry homie, for some reason StarBuccaneer’s gender was transferred to your tag in my head. My most humble of apologies… I don’t seem to be getting much right for the last week or so. I’ll get better :slight_smile:

Oh, and I technically did get a mention in FSL 1.0. It was the Protect Helm’s Deep mission and I had Saruman on my team. :wink:

As a guy who is still playing through Halo Combat Evolved for the first time (on Easy Difficulty level) I would welcome new HD level graphics and XBox Live team play in an anniversary edition. I just hope they don’t make it any more difficult because I get killed far too often as it is.

~Shooter Out

Here is the link I posted on Twitter about the Hoverbike:

http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/06/10/6828232-man-builds-a-working-hoverbike

If Australian Chris Malloy ever gets the thing working, it looks pretty sweet!

~Shooter Out

Listening to the 'cast now. Hearing y’all geeking out about video games reminded me of this article:

The 6 Most Ominous Trends in Video Games

I agree that Elizabeth Moon’s stuff is very Weber-ish. I haven’t read the Vatta stuff yet, but I probably will. I read all her Paksenerrion books a few weeks ago. They are very good fantasy. I am now about halfway through her Familias Regnent series, which I am also enjoying. Overall she seems to be very good. Although I do perfer Weber. The Honor Harrington series, The War God series and Safehold are incredible.

It sounded to me like the Crue was unfamiliar with the ossimsauce that is Monkey Island.

Here is just a sample:

//youtu.be/UG2AS2HuM-U

//youtu.be/7WBQrNdLCFQ

Y’all should really check it out.

Your mother is a cattle herder clink**clink

I also think that with the success of Wolverine/Hugh Jackman - Logan is going to be popular.

In honor of Sean’s shared love of redheads (I absolutely adore redheads) let me share a few with you :slight_smile:

God I love my job :slight_smile:

Oh dear Crom… <<seanscream>> Defiantly a bunk moment here… redheads = hotness. Also that teacher has great eyes.

Well there are worst things than being forced by the Chinese to gold farm.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/mar/23/20060323-114842-5680r/

:eek:

Just saw the red heads… Will need something to soak up the drool now on my desk… :wink:

lol! Thanks Sean :slight_smile: I know we don’t always agree on stuff, but at least we agree on the greatness of redheads (I especially love gingers!) The teacher is a model named Faye, she is my personal muse, and is also in the shot with the red dress. Here are a few more of her for you sean, enjoy your rack time lol!

Yes, I have the best job in the world lol!

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast #275 quote!

http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=13774

well looks like the future is closer than we think.

quote fomr the article
Scientists from the University of South California’s Viterbi School led by Dr. Theodore Berger have managed to build a prosthetic chip which can be implanted into the brain and uses electrodes to enhance memory abilities. The chip can store neural signals which basically functions as electronic memory, allowing the rats that were used in their tests to remember certain events when it was enabled, and when disabled it caused the rats to forget what was on that memory.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/06/scientists-create-first-expandable-memory-for-the-brain/
Phaze
on the “I don’t really need the memory enhancement meself but it’s nice to read about it” ID