#272: Summer Movie Roundup

We round up and discuss this summer’s awesome movies. And we run down the week in geek including the STS-134 Shuttle launch, the runaway rapture meme, the fabulous Salsa Vader, STS-134?s valuable hardware cargo, and more. Thanks to Tim Bailey, who joins us from the NASA KSC press site just an hour after the launch, and The Operator, who drops his knowledge on us regarding summer flicks.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Salsa Vader’s performing at a community center in the Bronx (at least, according to the video info). :slight_smile:

linky

//youtu.be/07IhWD2Lr2A

And yes Elvis Crespo was there :wink:
(Not to nitpick but it’s not all salsa… there’s merengue, reggaeton, cumbia…)

Let the downloading begin!

FSL 3.0 is on its way! Ahhhhhhhhh! :eek:

Best news in a year. Time to get it on! :smiley:

“the classic western director” that I believe you all were “searching” (pun) for was John Ford. Ford is possibly one of the greatest film makers in the history of the art form (in my humble opinion). Hopefully they come close with his “look and style”.

… some Olivia Wilde “nekked scenes” might be good too :slight_smile:

FSL 3.0 is on its way! Ahhhhhhhhh!

AHHHH!!! SeanScream
When is the thread arriving? I need to secure my team!

Patience padawan. I have no insight into what Sean’s plans are but by what they said things may be retooled. Watch the Forum and Twitter for announcements.

Thanks, Cas! That trombone playing, dancing Vader is OSSIM!! I was up out of my seat dancing along!

I played the trombone my junior year of HS. I was even shorter then and couldn’t reach 7th position! lol! I had to toggle my spit valve with my toe!

So much fun!

Okay Juan, this time I got you on wrong information. The second “hack” wasn’t actually a hack, it was actually an issue reported by a white-hat hacker via a web-mag that Sony acted on. The third hacking report involved a Sony owned Asian ISP which had nothing to do with PSN. Again, PSN was not related to this third hacking incident.

And really, my gripe about the last console news item wasn’t the inaccuracy of it but that it turned into a commercial for the competition.

In regards to X-men First Class:

Really concerned that they seem to be showing Mystique growing up around friends and fellow mutants, when her background is suppose to be she grew up shunned and abused among humans.

Loved this cast, you guys even have me kinda stoked about Thor and Cpt America which is odd because I’ve never really cared about them before.

I recently went back and listened to the original X-Men arc, GWC #128-131 because I heard about Sean’s Prof Xavier theory. I tend to agree, and that’s one of the reasons I love you guys. I usually just watch a movie and kinda let myself flow into it without being too critical. That’s how I find myself not disappointed with movies that catch lots of crap,(SW Ep 1,2&3) I just kinda of accept them for what they are, and try not to have any preconceived notions as to what I think they should be. Willing suspension of disbelief or something like that, but you guys really break down and examine stuff in an unusual but very enlightening way. I like being able to hear you guys dissect something without ruining it for me.
(That’s special, btw, because most people don’t look at media or art very objectively)

Excellent cast! I loved hearing about the summer movie hopefuls and am really looking forward to your summer tv talk next week. I am most looking forward to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. Sad tho, to see it end. I’m hoping to have time to pick up Deathly Hallows and give it another read before the movie release.

Just a correction as far as directors of the Potter films- Alfonso Cuaron directed only the third movie, Prisoner of Azkaban. David Yates has been the director since the fifth movie, Order of the Phoenix.

And OMG Salsa Vader! The dancing made me bust out laughing.

In the cast, you said Audra would have been too young to attend Space Camp when Chuck was a counselor. Not true! Do you remember the eponymous, highly factual and critically acclaimed movie that came out in '86? It had Kate Capshaw, Lea Thompson, Tate Donovan, Tom Skerritt and the dude who played Lamar in Revenge of the Nerds. (I just did that from memory because I saw that movie so many times as a teenager. I don’t know WHY. It was so bad. Not even Tom Skerritt’s 'stache could save it.)

Anyway, it also starred Joaquin Phoenix when he was, like, nine. So there you go: tots in space. It didn’t go well for him, though: his only friend was this two-foot tall robotic equivalent of Jar-Jar Binks, only more annoying, which hacked into the NASA mainframe to send them up on Atlantis (…so maybe it’s a good idea they don’t let kids into Space Camp).

Oh, I also wanted to bring up one movie that was worse than SpaceCamp (or even Santa with Muscles), and that was Beyond the Stars, which had Martin Sheen and Christian Slater. They were filming it when I was at Space Camp the first time ('87). I got to meet both of them and get their autographs, and I got to watch Christian Slater pretend to control the multi-axis trainer (like Lea Thompson did in SpaceCamp. You can’t do that, btw). Later that day, my group used the trainer, which meant that I got to sit where his ass had been. (So I guess, Audra, you would call that the multi-asses trainer.) And that was back when he was still hawt teen Christian, not creepy proto-Jack Nicholson Christian.

I know this is a podcast thread, but I’m so nostalgic as the shuttle program ends that I’d love to hear from former campers!

Woah! What did Solai do to deserve that nasty little bit at the end of the cast??? :eek:

More epic FSL? Sweeeeeeet!!! :slight_smile:

I think that sounds like an excellent idea for its own thread! I don’t know if we have had an accounting of Space Campers. Go forth! Post!

here is a picture of Endeavour on her way up and up.

That was one lucky airline flight :slight_smile:

here is the full NG article

Holy frak. Naturally, one of the last 2 launches and I was up in Iowa.

Salsa Vader is good … Axl Chewie is gooder :slight_smile:

despite the tale of woe related elsewhere on these forums, today has been a pretty great day. My boss left for a 3 week vacation, leaving me with blissful days of relative peace. I had a great workout. I ate the best mango I’ve had in years. And I listened to GWC #272.

I mostly kept myself polite while running and giggling through Salsa Vader but completely lost it at Sean trying to pronounce klucassm (k-lucas-sim, but slur the last 2 syllables together). Klu… like Tron. Bwah! Almost fell off the bike. Actually got shushed by a fellow gym goer.

Then Audra’s hilarious double entendres in The Operator’s segment sent me into fits on the bus and a fellow commuter looked like he was ready to dial 911 and report a dangerous lunatic on the 42 line.

Great cast, y’all. And I am SO looking forward to Cowboys and Aliens. It will be epic.

Here is a little about the new technologies and techniques being used in the new Transformers movie-

//youtu.be/sp01dghnn1Q

Two of the hosts from TRS got to see this interview live and view 15 minutes of the movie, the things they said about the footage have me really excited about this. Like Bumblebee jumping and transforming into the Camero around a falling Shia Lebouff and then landing and driving off at high speed! :eek:

And Sky divers in those special ‘flying squirrel’ suits swooping and diving in between Chicago buildings with 3D cameras mounted on them so they could shoot specialized footage for the film. Holy Jumping Sh*tballs!!!

Maybe Bay will actually redeem himself for Skids and Mudflap… maybe.

Then Audra’s hilarious double entendres in The Operator’s segment sent me into fits on the bus and a fellow commuter looked like he was ready to dial 911 and report a dangerous lunatic on the 42 line.

This probably happens more often then you would think when listening to GWC.